Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

NooBie Post

This is a discussion on NooBie Post within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all ,just registered today after taking the plunge and ordering the max product . Having done a quick trawl ...

The_Local_Ned is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSKIY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max @ 3.5km = 1.9mb
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Talking NooBie Post

Hi all ,just registered today after taking the plunge and ordering the max product .
      Having done a quick trawl around the boards the first impression I get is that most subscribers are satisfied ,if not quite pleased ,with the service they are receiving from sky.

Ok I have a couple of quick questions here goes.....

1 - What exactly is the 30 "activation fee" for ?
      surely if you have an existing BB connection then there should be little or
      NO charges for migrating IN ??

2 - Is their any facility for migration back out ?

3 - Damn, just noticed if I had waited a few days the 30 fee would not be
      charged.

I am on quite a long line , stats are - 4.51km by road to exchange , 3.24 as crow flies and line stats are - ds - 9 , us - 15 ( margin ) and atten of ds -57 and us - 31.
      This gets me a stable 2mb max dsl connection from eclipse which has now been throttled on p2p ,down to dial-up speeds.

Highest stable sync I got was 2.9mb I think, although the profile seems to be stuck on 2048 or something right now.

I hope that moving onto an llu connection means that I will gain something and not lose it.
      See you soon , with the first of my connection questions no doubt...

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: NooBie Post

An engineer from BT Openreach has to visit the exchange to wire your broadband connection to Sky's equipment at the exchange. BT charge Sky for this, and the activation fee is intended to cover this. Also, Sky send you a router (in fact, because Sky don't give their customers the connection username and password, and it's impossible to extract them from the new Sky routers, you have to use this router.

The cost to Sky is the same regardless of whether you have the Base, Mid, or Max connection, and this was reflected in the fact that the connection charge (for the time being, at least) is the same for each of them.

Of course, you can move back to a different ISP if you wish, but remember that there is a minimum 12 month contract period with Sky Broadband.

The connection speed that you get from Sky on a line like yours will be about the same as you're getting now. On a line with an attenuation level as high as yours, Sky will always use the G.DMT form of broadband, which is the same as Eclipse will have been using.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah , I sussed that much out , sort of a catch22 situation here - you will pay us 30 because we are also giving you a wireless router freebie ( which is locked and can only be used by a sky bb subscriber on a sky bb connection....so if you want on - you WILL use our <cough> your equipment ).

Much like the early AOL setup.
      Getting flashbacks of 56k flex and v90 modem tech wars here......

Thanx for the reply.
      Last edited by The_Local_Ned; 07-01-08 at 01:01 AM.

seaninfrared is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gorseinon, South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Local_Ned View Post
      Hi all ,just registered today after taking the plunge and ordering the max product .
      Having done a quick trawl around the boards the first impression I get is that most subscribers are satisfied ,if not quite pleased ,with the service they are receiving from sky.

Ok I have a couple of quick questions here goes.....

1 - What exactly is the 30 "activation fee" for ?
      surely if you have an existing BB connection then there should be little or
      NO charges for migrating IN ??

2 - Is their any facility for migration back out ?

3 - Damn, just noticed if I had waited a few days the 30 fee would not be
      charged.

I am on quite a long line , stats are - 4.51km by road to exchange , 3.24 as crow flies and line stats are - ds - 9 , us - 15 ( margin ) and atten of ds -57 and us - 31.
      This gets me a stable 2mb max dsl connection from eclipse which has now been throttled on p2p ,down to dial-up speeds.

Highest stable sync I got was 2.9mb I think, although the profile seems to be stuck on 2048 or something right now.

I hope that moving onto an llu connection means that I will gain something and not lose it.
      See you soon , with the first of my connection questions no doubt...
      More or less the same situation as me, roughly the same stats. You will probs be syncing at about 2 - 2.5Mb max, but if you are unhappy with that, open a ticket up online, and ring them after 3 - 5 days. Say you think your connection might be capped and that you are sure you can sync at higher speeds. And then they will probably give you a larger cap, and give you speeds of up to 3 - 3.5Mb! And if you are a gamer, and would like lower pings (not always the case) you can ask them to LOWER your MAX DELAYS, but do not mention gaming or pings to TIER 1 support as they will direct you to the game supplier. Other than that, pretty good internet, good value I say.

Ok pings. (24/05/08)

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanx again , very encouraging.
      COD4 and Joint-Ops here we go......