Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Just signed up to Sky BB - have i picked the right package?

This is a discussion on Just signed up to Sky BB - have i picked the right package? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all Since Sky launched their broadband service i have been very tempted to migrate over from BT . I ...

vRS
      vRS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Just signed up to Sky BB - have i picked the right package?

Hello all

Since Sky launched their broadband service i have been very tempted to migrate over from BT. I finally made my decision the other day and signed up to the Mid package at 5 per month with a 30 activation fee.

Now when i phoned a few days earlier to sign up the girl told me that their would be a 40 one off charge as that was showing on her system. I told her that it says 30 on all the pages of the Sky website and she checked and said yes it is 30 but you will be charged 40 and refunded the 10 back.
      I said i would think about it. I thought about it and called back later again. This time spoke to a guy who took my migration code, and said that it would be a charge of 30, which i paid by card.

Since becoming a member, i have been reading up on a lot of things on this great site. And recently have read about the new price changes which will take place regarding the one off fees when you sign up to broadband. The fee currently is/used to be 30 no matter which package you selected Max/Mid/Base, but now they will be changing it to 0/30/60. So really it hasnt made a difference to the Mid package i have selected. These prices are also being advertised in the latest TV mags.

For the past few days i have been thinking that i have maybe should have signed up to the Max package for 10 every month, for the unlimited downloads.
      I know its upto 16Mb but i am never going to get anything near that.

Just now with BT i have a rock solid connection. I usually sync somewhere between 3500kbps - 4000kbps i.e a 3Mb connection. I am currently on Option 3 and have been paying 26.99 a month
      I wouldnt mind paying that much if i had a good line and was getting speeds near 6Mb to 8Mb, hence the reason for me wanting to migrate to sky.

My Line Attenuation is 53.0 db, and I am quite far from the exchange, (approximately 1.82km according to Samknows, although i have a feeling that it is double that), and i have got a BT ADSL Master Faceplate fitted.

If i went onto Max would i get better speeds than 3Mb?

I would save the 30 one off fee by going onto Max, but yearly i would be paying 30 more than i would with Mid. Then again that extra 30 would be for the unlimited downloads, and maybe a faster connection?

Should i just stay with Mid?

Any advice from any members, especially those who have similar linespeeds and are on Max would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Just signed up to Sky BB - have i picked the right package?

Hi

On Max I would expect to receive more than you are getting at the moment.

ADSL2+ Speed Test
      We estimate your line is capable of between 5mb to 6mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service.

SkyUser - ADSL2 Line Speed Checker - upto 24mb

As a guide

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

he wouldn't get put on adsl2+ though as attenuation is to high - you should still see 5Mbps odd so long as your line is noise free...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vRS View Post
      that extra 30 would be for the unlimited downloads, and maybe a faster connection?

Should i just stay with Mid?
      With your attenuation, whatever downstream sync you get with Mid is what you'd get from Max. Upstream though would be about double - 768kbps for Max vs 384kbps (which Mid seems to have moved to recently - was 416kbps).

Unless you need a faster upload speed and think you'll be using more than 40gig a month, save your 30 and stay with Mid.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      he wouldn't get put on adsl2+ though as attenuation is to high - you should still see 5Mbps odd so long as your line is noise free...
      I am on GDMT and get what is says on our checker.

ADSL2+ Speed Test
      We estimate your line is capable of between 7mb to 8mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

vRS
      vRS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies, i think i will just stay on the Mid, and first see what i actually get on that.
      Just now i'm using the Netgear GT router which i like and is much better than the bt home hub. I have recieved my new Sky router today the Sagem F@ST, and a letter saying my activation will be next Monday, so i hope everything goes through ok.

Am i right in thinking that i can upgrade to Max, but if on Max i cant downgrade to Mid?