Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Totally Frustrated

This is a discussion on Totally Frustrated within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry to dig this old thread up but I wanted to ask a final question on the home plugs. Are ...

JonG86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Totally Frustrated

Sorry to dig this old thread up but I wanted to ask a final question on the home plugs.

Are they as stable as actually running a cable from my router to my computer? Are they comparable to cable or just a little better than wireless?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The connection will depend on the wiring in the premesis. They are much better than wireless I get 16.5mb constant. The utility prog that came with the adapter shows upto 80mb so it will easily handle my net use.

In my case they are not quite as good as an erthernet connection but I have no problems with oing on my x-box360 and I do not suffer from the Vista 1min bug anymore.

I paid 30 for a pair of Solwise from e-bay and a further 20 for a single one from the same place so that I could use the xbox aswell.

You can get better rated ones that will do upto 200mb for audio/video sending but for normal internet browsing etc the ones I have are great. Wish I had done it sooner, spent as much trying a couple of different USB dongels!!!

maxim8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As suggested before, I've found changing the default channel can help.. try scanning for Wireless networks, Identify the channel numbers of all those in the vicinity and change your routers channel to one most distanced from the others (e.g. if there are other WLAN's on 1, 4,6 & 11; change yours to channel 8 or 9).

Also it sometimes helps if you turn off any proprietory WiFi extensions on the router, such as turbo/108mb etc.. just stick to 802.11g/b for a while and see if that makes a difference

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12