Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

help needed

This is a discussion on help needed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; thx in advance just incase I forget to say when help arrives left vm for sky btw. I expected to ...

Darkrage is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LVELL
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

help needed

thx in advance just incase I forget to say when help arrives

left vm for sky btw.

I expected to be connected to an exchange (LVHOO) capable of Be broadband (upto 24meg) but instead ive been connected to an llu exchange (LVELL) capable of upto 16meg - the problem im getting is this:-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1696 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.6 db 7.0 db

ok so my dl speed may aswell be on base for free but as i live 2k from the exchange i was expecting an attenuation of about 40-50db for downstream and speeds of 6000kbps which for me would be acceptable but with such low snr im guessing the actual distance to this exchange is higher so i have a dilema.

A: do i get bt to investigate line attenuation and noise margin?
      B: do i go back to cable?

also does anyone know why my upstream attenuation is so good compared to the downstream should they not be of a similar value if it was a problem with distance or is it contention that is borking my attenuation for the downstream.

would also like to point out most of my street are connected to the lvhoo exchange and open reach told me to sod off with regards to me getting connected to this exchange ( i do know its a much better exchange) them idiots at bt stuck me on the wrong exchange.

any help would be very welcomed 100ping in a server for which i used to ping 24 is not good.

Ps. i have 20 days left before im stuck with the sky dsl contract.
      Last edited by Darkrage; 05-01-08 at 08:14 AM.

2. Advertisement
      astra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYELL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: help needed

With Line Attenuation 63.5 db looks like your at the end of a very long line and i doubt very much Bt would do anything. its nothing to do with them
      if i was you i would go back to cable...

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Direct line distance is not the same as the distance the telephone line travel and exchanges have capacity limits, if the exchange you wanted was full then you have no option and if your line was already installed then you were already on an exchange and BT will not move you.
      Did you not check to see what exchange you were already on or did you not have a BT line prior to taking ADSL?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrage View Post
      also does anyone know why my upstream attenuation is so good compared to the downstream should they not be of a similar value if it was a problem with distance or is it contention that is borking my attenuation for the downstream.
      Contention will never have an impact of the sync speeds that you get, although it can have an impact on how much data can flow over that connection (i.e., you connect at, say, 8 Mbit/sec, but you can only download at 4 Mbit/sec).

Downstream attenuation is always higher than upstream attenuation. This is because the downstream signal uses higher frequencies than the upstream, and the higher the frequency, the greater the attenuation.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi - yes i did check what exchange i was on - my post code and phone number do not match. i should be connected to llhoo according to my postcode and i know most in my street are connected to llhoo.

the guy from open reach who installed the line said i would be on llhoo yet he went and connected me to lvell.

also line attenuation of 63.5 is a router issue but could infact be say 100 just that the router will only read upto 63.5

oh well i will try bt amd sky to see if their is a problem on my line first before i ask sky to disconnect me.

thx again for the info

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

just spoke with technical help and they have informed me that after initial activation i need to wait 5 working days for all the testing on my line before i will see actual speed capabilities.

i will wait until wednesday and contact them again if i see no improvement then i will drop it down to a base subscription for free and return to cable.

i will also speak with bt about my line attenuation and see if they can look into it

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

unless you were on connect i do not see the reason for waiting 5 days ?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrage View Post
      i will also speak with bt about my line attenuation and see if they can look into it
      Absolutely no point in even trying to do that. As far as broadband is concerned, you are not a customer of theirs, you are a customer of Sky's. The moment you start talking about broadband, attenuation or noise margin, BT will not want to know.

I suspect that the reason why you were put onto the "wrong" exchange is that there wasn't a line pair available to the "right" exchange. You can ask BT to move you to the "right" exchange, but most likely they will refuse (because they simply can't do it), or if they can, they'll charge you a small fortune for doing it.

In your position, I think you just have to accept that ADSL isn't for you.