Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Tricky Problem with Speeds

This is a discussion on Tricky Problem with Speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, i`ll keep it brief but be informative.. I was with SKY BB Connect from 22nd November, got full 8mb ...

meggahurtz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01493
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Tricky Problem with Speeds

Ok, i`ll keep it brief but be informative..

I was with SKY BB Connect from 22nd November, got full 8mb Speeds, Happy Bunny.

Then, BT lost our account (Yep, phone number the lot), so obviously I had to have a new phone number (Local Papers had a field day).

There was no cease to be made on the old line as SKY went off 2 days after BT Losing my Account.

We got our new connection date for 3rd January 2008 but was online from 24th December on the new number (Same Line, Same router). Problem is i`m stuck on 2mb and have been ever since 24th December, sky wont help as they say i`ve got to wait 10 days for bedding in even though my router is sync at 8128 and theres no speed variations at all.

These are the stats from the router:-

Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version 6.02.01.00
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 8128 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 7841 11447 0 2763 15155 00:13:54
      LAN 100M/Full 11739 8961 0 14821 3051 00:14:39
      WLAN 11M/54M 753 37 0 121 3 00:14:26
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 23 db 5.5 db
      Noise Margin 10 db 24 db

Just seems i`m capped at 2mb..

Any Ideas????

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Tricky Problem with Speeds

You will have to wait 10 days or check things on your side of the connection for issues, T1 will not be able to troubleshoot your speed until the 10 days are up, we are not allowed to, if we try to pass a ticket on within the 10 days CST will shoot us.
      Just because you had 8Mb before it doesn't mean you are on the exact same connection at the exchange, when your line went off you were disconnected from the exchange equipment, you have now been re-connected to the equipment but may be on different cards etc in the exchange.
      I take it Sky are aware that your telephone number has changed?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It looks like the BRAS profile is stuck and that normally needs to be fixed by BT, requested by Sky. BT will not accept a request from you directly (because as far as they're concerned, Sky is their customer for the broadband service on your line) and they won't accept a request from Sky until the 10 day period is up.

However, it is sometimes possible to fix this problem yourself. What you need to do is get the router to sync at a lower speed temporarily. Try removing all the microfilters (except the one your using for the router, of course), so that telephones and Sky TV boxes are all connected directly to the phone system. Yes, yes, that's the exact opposite of how things are supposed to be, but that's the point - you want the line conditions to be bad, so that the router syncs at a lower speed.

Restart the router and check the stats. Hopefully the downstream speed will be less than 8128. Leave things like that for a couple of hours. Then put everything back to the way it was and restart the router. Your downstream speed will be back up to 8128, but with a bit of luck, your BRAS profile will have been updated too.

No guarantees that this will work, although it did for me, back when I first got ADSL Max, and it's certainly worth a try.

HELGHAST is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

your lucky i joined sky in augest got sky max had to pay 30 to join and a month in advanced. after a week my routor broke as i was enjoying 13-14meg. then we had to change are home phone due to payments (as bt overcharged) so it took a month for both to get back online. then the speed started to drop so i used the sky email they gave me for the 1st time and noticed that they put me on sky connect with out telling me and checked my stats and they capped me. and to make things worse the internet cuts out if we receive a phone call. so im in a email war with the tech support trying to sort this out.

meggahurtz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01493
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Talking Re: Tricky Problem with Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post

No guarantees that this will work, although it did for me, back when I first got ADSL Max, and it's certainly worth a try.

Works perfectly...

TYVM..