Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

speed and reboots

This is a discussion on speed and reboots within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by dingdong well done for getting it raised with tier3 - i look forward to their response. Have ...

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
      well done for getting it raised with tier3 - i look forward to their response.
      Have you raised it with Sky too? Visibility, visibility, visibility...

2. Advertisement
      smokie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

reboot

just a thought if you say it could be street lighting ect would the router have to be on wireless
      as my wireless is turned off i just use the cable

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Paul

As dingdong has said and I agree there is no way that SkyBB are not aware of this issue as there have been a lot of posts on this site about the very same problem and I find it hard to believe that if not all of the posters but the bulk of that have not called TS about this.

As for dingdong's hatred for the router I can understand why but then I am the opposite as I have had no problems with either my router or connection since I was activated.

Good luck with Tier 3
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      This seems to be a common problem. If everyone was affected it probably would be easy to identify and fix, trouble is (i'm not sure of how many are, but taking a guess) only about say 30% are affected. It is very high. I don't think it is hardware, unless they have had a massive batch of bad routers, which rather suggests a software problem. It is just not a router config problem either, as some aspects will be cured by config but not all. It really doesn't look good, unless someone from sky can really get down and sort the problem out and identify exactly what is causing it.

I think it is certaily a router problem but what that problem is i have no idea.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      No reason to have wireless on if you don't use it.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I would love to have an easynet engineer come to my house and see for themselves what happens. maybe they could get this whole mess sorted out for everybody if they found the cause. If any sky reps are in here, pm me identify yourself and i'll give you details

It is nothing to do with my wiring or connection to the exchange, if it were my other router would suffer the same problem.

It has nothing to do with the isp itself either, for the same reasons as above.

There is nothing untoward on my PC it is just a standard setup.

The problem has also been identified with people using the netgear usb adaptor, so it is probably not being caused by the fact that i am not using their adpator on my pc.

The list goes on and on..

I know i am only one person and conclusions should not be drawn generally from one sample, but reading through here i firmly believe i am not alone.

I don't know if i am the only person in here NOT using their router to get my connection (which is excellent by the way if i don't), but if so, you could pm me and i could then contact sky and let them know what i have discovered and it may help then in their diagnostics. I would only of course quote numbers not identities (which i wouldn't know anyway).

When i have a bit of spare cash i may pop round to pc world and get this model of router from there and try their version of it. If it works then i could use that instead and just make it appear that i am using their router. It would also confirm whether or not there is a hardware difference between the sky model and the retail version.
      Last edited by dingdong; 17-09-06 at 11:23 AM.

bvarsani is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wembley
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Sky know there is a problem. They won't admit at this early stage as it can put people signing up for a while. It will be an issue on Watchdog in the next couple of weeks. Watch this space.

Your right it may just be a firmware problem with the routers. Hopfully they bring an update out soon when they figure out what the problrm is.

firestorm_westy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bedford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      What do you mean - Using a different router - I thought you had to use sky's one?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      You do.

It is possible to use another router but the site rules don't allow this subject to be discussed anymore.
      Ray

click here

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      I to have had this problem since swapping from Claranet 2 weeks or so back.
      The longest connection time I have had before needing a re-boot had has been 4 hours.
      I mangaged to download the Vista trial the other night (2.52 gb in just over an hour!), as soon as I tried to go to a webpage after that it died and I had to plug the plug on the router.
      Awaiting a call from Tier 2 after numerous calls to Sky people from Scotland to India and last night a very nice lady the Philippines.
      I even tried putting a fan in front of the box as it seemed to be getting very hot but that did not help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast