Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line Capped and Ping

This is a discussion on Line Capped and Ping within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Recently my V1 Router was beginning to drop the connection a lot so i contacted sky CS. Their first move ...

DavieJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cramlington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Line Capped and Ping

Recently my V1 Router was beginning to drop the connection a lot so i contacted sky CS.

Their first move was to cap the line to 2Meg. I still suffered drop outs, but to my amazement this capping reduced my ping times to typical UK gaming servers CS:S, BF2 etc to almost 1/3rd the previous value (90ms to 35ms).

I contacted them a second time, to try and achieve stability and they moved to cap the line further to 1.3Meg. I now noticed that my improved ping times had disappeared. I was still getting drop outs.

After contacting them a 3rd time they dispatched a new router which *touch wood* seems to have corrected the problems i was experiencing.

However, this means that the line capping was totally unnecessary (noise margin 25dB, line att 50dB). At best i was previously getting 4meg but because i game i'd prefer a 2meg capped line and those much better pings.

What i dont understand is why the ping got worse when the line was further capped?

So after all that waffle, essentially my question is:

can i ask sky to cap my line back to the previous 2meg settings and give me improved pings or is there something more specific i would have to ask?

Regards,
      Dave.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Line Capped and Ping

Quote Originally Posted by DavieJG View Post
      can i ask sky to cap my line back to the previous 2meg settings and give me improved pings or is there something more specific i would have to ask?
      First thing to do is ensure your line is in the best possible condition. See the cabling and faceplate forum for tips.

Then, contact Sky T1 and report slow speeds - don't mention capping or ping times. After going through slow speed troubleshooting you should be transferred to CST.

Ask the CST agent to uncap your line to the maximum possible, which may well be completely uncapped, depending on the current (hopefully improved) line condition. Once that's done ask for your interleave delay to be set at the minimum which will give a reasonably low ping time.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thank you for your reply.

i will follow the steps you provided and post back how i get on.

mosh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Mossywell's Bounce Sky Router USE THIS SOFTWARE IT WILL START UP YOUR ROUTER WHEN ITS DROPING,LET US KNOW

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The problem causing frequent line drops was in fact a faulty 'white' router.

Now sky have replaced the router upon my request my connection became stable no drops for over 48hrs compared to a drop every hr. I then requested them to cap/uncap the line to an appropriate speed and reduce my ping time by setting interleaving delay to a minimum.

They did this within 24hrs of my request, moving line speed from 1366kbps to 3072kbps which is a good speed for a 50dB line. Ping time was also noticebly reduced by about 60ms going from a sluggish 100ms on typical game servers to a respectable 35-40ms.

My connection has since been connected for over 200hrs and everything is fast but most importantly reliable!