Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Max Connection Keeps Dropping Out

This is a discussion on Max Connection Keeps Dropping Out within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction with this problem as I have been ...

lenin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Middleton, Manchester
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Max Connection Keeps Dropping Out

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction with this problem as I have been very close to pulling my hair out on several occasions over the last month.

I've been on the max package for the best part of a year, and on the whole it has worked very well since I got sky to take their cap off my line and I have almost always had my d/l speeds of around 11mb. Over the last month, however, my connection has become increasingly erratic, d/l speeds have often dropped to sub-dial up levels on a far too regular basis and over the last two weeks in particular the connection hasregularly, sometimes on a half-hourly basis, sometimes not returning for a number of hours at a time.

At first I put the slow speeds down to interference with my wireless signal from christmas lights etc, but when the connection started dropping out I reverted to a wired connection and still I could not gain access. Whilst I have connection the speeds seem to be fine and the number of dropouts have slightly improved (they still occur 5/6 times a day) they are proving incredibly frustrating.

I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Max Connection Keeps Dropping Out

Hi, if you post your router statistics someone will help you. It sounds like a noise problem to me.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks

Snap Paulsky lol

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My stats:

System Up Time 01:05:39
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 3815 3764 0 761 1880 00:25:40
      LAN 10M/100M 449 0 0 18 0 01:05:37
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 12458 11510 0 2716 634 01:05:27

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11263 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db 19.6 db
      Noise Margin 6.3 db 9.0 db

Thanks

Noise Margin 6.3 db 9.0 db looks to be the problem . Anything that flactuates less than 7 will contribute to disconnections. How are you connected, is it from an extention cable ? Are you connected to the master socket?

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How to test your Master Socket

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lenin View Post
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11263 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db 19.6 db
      Noise Margin 6.3 db 9.0 db
      Your noise margin is the cause of the problem - it is much too low and is probably causing the dropouts.

Your line should support getting on for the maximum 16 mbps so I suspect it is still capped because of this noise probably causing errors.

I would be looking carefully at your internal cabling. Have you tried the router in your master or test socket, bypassing any extensions?

EDIT: Beaten to it again!

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      I suspect it is still capped because of this noise probably causing errors.
      No, if he was capped below what the router could connect at then the noise margin would be higher i.e. if the connection is capped below 16meg then it's at a level higher than the router can connect at and is therefore immaterial.

Also, I think that saying that a noise margin of 6.3db is "much too low" is not entirely correct and may alarm others reading this thread.

The old router firmware certainly has a few problems handling line noise. On a good quality line it will hold the connection down to about 4.0-4.5db. Most lines will be fine at 6.3db. If it wasn't then everyone would get disconnections every day as with normal noise margin swings a drop of 0.6db is typical in the evenings. The router default is 6.9db.

I could be wrong but the pattern of problems reported by lenin sounds like his/her line is one which the router firmware can't handle. In these cases there seems to be a snowballing effect which takes place where the line errors suddenly and massively increase, completely overcoming the router's ability to provide a connection. Rebooting clears the problem and all is well again until the next time which can be hours or many days later depending on the noise problem existing at the time of the reboot (it's all to do with bitswapping and frequency allocations). Happily the new firmware handles things much better and hopefully it will be released soon. In the meantime, boosting the noise margin to 10db or more may improve things.

If that's not the problem then I'd consider noise spikes (dodgy extension etc)- again a high noise margin may help but sorting the cause of the noise out would be the solution.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you all for your help and advice. The router is connceted directly to the master socket but unfortunately it seems that the socket is not a standard BT socket and does not have a test socket. I have tried dialling the BT quiet line test and there is no noise on the line and Ii have also disconnected and connected the wires inside the phone socket but all of this is to no avail, as only have the noise margins flutuating between 7-10db downstream and 7-8db upstream, and after about 15 mins they tend to drop to 6db and I get disconnected.

As iaid inmy original post this is a very recent phenomenon as I had not encountered these problems at any point over the last year and a bit.