Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Initial SKY BB setup / Vista issues.

This is a discussion on Initial SKY BB setup / Vista issues. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Been reading through threads here but cannot find anything specific to my issues so hoping someone may be ...

Tobyh1 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:

Unhappy Initial SKY BB setup / Vista issues.

Hi all,

Been reading through threads here but cannot find anything specific to my issues so hoping someone may be able to point me in right direction...

I have been trying to set up SKY BB for a family member who has a PC with Vista as the OS. On the initial setup following the instructions on the sky disc everything appeared to work fine, got a net connection and was able to browse without issue (not having to put in Username / PW did confuse me though!). All seemed fine apart from a small POP E-mail issue.

The person then pointed at the router and asked "do i need to leave that on all the time?" - to which I replied no, turned it off and on to demonstrate it should reset itself ...and that was it. From that point I just can't get a web connection. When I restart the PC / router the Internet light on the router seems to just stay orange (writing this 2 days after so please bear with me). When I go into Network connections and diagnostics, Vista shows a red cross on the link to the Web. If I click it a message pops up saying it couldn't find any issues and then seems to open up the link. In the system tray I have an Icon showing the Networked PCs and a World Icon on it. Even so, if i try to browse I get "unable to open page" type messages and it times out.

I have only set up the router hard wired - no wireless to worry about. I'm now a bit lost as to what may be causing this and where to check in Vista - all my experience is with XP.

Would really appreciate any ideas please. If i've missed any critical info please let me know.

I haven't yet reset the router or recovered PC to original state from recovery disk as I'm sure theres probably just a small setting I'm missing.

Any help greatly appreciated

2. Advertisement
      jqworle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Worle
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Re: Initial SKY BB setup / Vista issues.

Can you interrogate the router via and show statistics.
      This proves the link from router to PC, then after a router reset you should be able to get on the internet, if not and the router adsl light does not go green try another microfilter, failing this the router may be at fault.Or the exchange may have a fault.
      Also it is best to leave the router turned on as constantly turning it on and off may fool the exchange into thinking you have a faulty /noisy line.