Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection woes

This is a discussion on Connection woes within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've been with sky bb max for over a year now and to be quite honest it's never been ...

macmark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection woes

Hi,

I've been with sky bb max for over a year now and to be quite honest it's never been very good. I was always of the belief that you get what you pay for though so could never be bothered ringing the tech line.

Usually I get connected at around the mid to high 5000 kbps but the connection drops maybe 6 to 10 times a day once the downstream line noise margin drops below 6.0db. A quick reboot through the netgear page normally brings things back though.

Last night the same thing happened so I tried connecting to the router through the netgear page but no joy. I powered the router down and left it off a few minutes and tried again, still no joy. I reset the router, rebooted all the computers and still no joy. Unplugged everything, moved everything in the kitchen and took the PC downstairs to try the master socket and connected with ethernet cable. Still no joy. Time for the dreaded tech support call.

After 45 minutes repeating all of the above, twice, I get told I need to leave the router unplugged for 30 minutes and try again. Well it was gone midnight so I left it until this morning and joy of joys it was working. Not only working but faster than normal. I put everything back as it was and thought that was the last of it. Then the line noise margin dropped to 0.5db! I rebooted the router, swapped everything around again, put it all back in to the master socket and it's still not working properly. I've been online to the techies again, they tell me I must have a virus, on all 3 computers, 2 macs and 1 PC. I've got to virus scan them all and call them back with the results. Why would a virus make my line noise change? It's now around 24db!

My router is telling me my stats are:

Think I'll be swapping ISP's pretty soon. As I said it's never been particularly good but what do you expect for a tenner these days?

Anyone got any advice?

I'm in East London if that makes any difference.

Regards

Mark

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Connection woes

sounds like your extention is the root of your problems (i know you may say it's worked for so long and why the change, but this happens with extentions)

the reason for your previous reboots was prob down to line errors, what sky have done to try and "improve" your connection is to cap your speed which has increased your noise margin

you could have a look at the cabling and faceplate theads for tips on how to improve you home wiring, another option would be to use homeplug adapters (like these)

HTH

macmark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connection woes

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      sounds like your extention is the root of your problems (i know you may say it's worked for so long and why the change, but this happens with extentions)

the reason for your previous reboots was prob down to line errors, what sky have done to try and "improve" your connection is to cap your speed which has increased your noise margin

you could have a look at the cabling and faceplate theads for tips on how to improve you home wiring, another option would be to use homeplug adapters (like these)

HTH
      Thanks for the reply.

I've just ordered an ADSL Nation NTE-2005 master face plate and a 20m RJ11 pro+ cable. Am I right in thinking that by fitting the face plate to the master socket (which is behind a cupboard downstairs in the kitchen) and running the RJ11 cable upstairs to where the computers are I should considerably improve the quality of my extension and hopefully get things back to normal?

I'd rather keep the router upstairs if at all possible as my old G4 mac gets much better speeds over ethernet compared to using the airport and my PS3 seems to prefer ethernet too.

Thanks again and Happy New Year

Regards

Mark