Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Practically no upload

This is a discussion on Practically no upload within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just taken the front off my master socket and there is no test socket!!!!???It looks old, 4 wires, 2 ...

sith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Practically no upload

I've just taken the front off my master socket and there is no test socket!!!!???It looks old, 4 wires, 2 of which arn't connected!! But like i said before, uploads were fine with last isp but it was a usb modem,so maybe i am capped? Maybe they dropped my upload when i rang about disconnections to try and help my line be more stable or something? So what now? Ring sky.....again?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Doubtful you're capped. If you were then your noise margin would be far higher.

There's almost certainly a problem on your line which is interfering with the frequency range used for the upstream connection.

You haven't yet answered post #2 asking how you are connected.

Don't worry about not having a test socket at the moment. Just connect your router directly to your master socket (you are sure that is the master aren't you?) using the supplied router cable and microfilter only i.e no phone, extension lead, splitter etc. Now what are your stats?
      Last edited by Saturday; 01-01-08 at 06:48 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sith View Post
      I'm into the master socket and not wireless

Hi,
      The one and only phone socket to the house is what i am plugged into.There is only one socket on the front (and no test socket inside) of which the filter is plugged into, i am using the parts supllied to me by sky and it's the second filter i have tried and both give the same results. The cable to the modem is plugged into the filter and normally so is the phone cable. That's it. No extensions etc. I have the phone unplugged at the minute and here are my stats.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 116303 135418 0 1078 9345 03:20:07
      LAN 10M/100M 296755 250808 0 2798 535 27:27:36
      WLAN 11M/54M 1541 0 0 5 0 27:27:26

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5024 kbps 320 kbps
      Line Attenuation 56.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.3 db 13.0 db

Thanks again for your help very much appreciated.
      Sith

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Looks like a line issue then, have you tried a quiet line test call? Do you suffer any noise/ crackling on the line during calls?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Looks like a line issue then, have you tried a quiet line test call? Do you suffer any noise/ crackling on the line during calls?

Actually on and off we have had line issues. Even with the old isp but not for a long time. We thought it was the phone causing problems but an engineer did something to the line, not at my end, but down our street, and it seemed to sort it each time or the problem would just go away. Since removing the front off the socket i've had about 4 disconnections, and i'm sure one when i answered the phone. When i was on the phone it did crackle quite a bit to begin with. I've just changed the filter again to see if that helps in anyway and reset connection but it's happened once since (Whilst typing this). So what's this quiet test call? Most times the line is crystal clear.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Your upload stats were actually much better when the 'phone was disconnected. You might just have been right when you thought it could be faulty!

The quiet line test is obtained by dialling 17070 then option 2. You should hear silence. Try with the suspect 'phone and another if you have one.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee View Post
      Your upload stats were actually much better when the 'phone was disconnected. You might just have been right when you thought it could be faulty!

The quiet line test is obtained by dialling 17070 then option 2. You should hear silence. Try with the suspect 'phone and another if you have one.
      I took the front off the socket again and put it back on after moving the wires about a bit and the phone is back in and all seems ok with no disconnections for about 1 hour. Ovbiously still got the original problem of poor uploading. Tried swapping phones before dosen't really help.Line sounds clear.Here are my stats ebay, this site (which always loads slow for me) and utorrent doing the odd 0.1kbps every so often with no downloading is all that's going on.I normally have msn explorer and messenger on as well and normally blackcatgames and gctracker websites open at times, and then the internet security software.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 11672 11334 0 1220 1307 01:06:38
      LAN 10M/100M 448122 377920 0 3814 661 30:41:26
      WLAN 11M/54M 2091 0 0 5 0 30:41:16

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4704 kbps 64 kbps
      Line Attenuation 57.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 11.3 db 7.0 db

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Something, probably your phone, possibly your wiring, is interfering with the frequencies needed for the upstream connection. You won't improve your upload speed until you've sorted that out.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi all,
      My phone line went altogether last friday and got repaired on monday thankfully free of charge as the fault wasn't at my house. However, i don't seem to see any improvement so i rang sky and told them i have no upload they have done a line check and say i get 5000kbs download and 320kbs upload!!!??? They asked me to do command prompt netstat and stacks of information come up. Sky said there should be no more than 10 and yet i think there was about 50. As there is more than 10 they aren't able to help.
      I have done adaware, spybot, panda internet security scans and all say clear. The only other thing would be a registry cleaner. Any ideas?
      Thanks sith

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

You mentioned utorrent, which I do not know much about, but if this is file sharing software and it is running, then there could conceivably be loads of users connecting to your PC which may explain the high netstat figure.

Try disabling/stopping any file sharing, then check the netstats again. If it is below 10 you could try Sky again!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast