Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Speed capping?

This is a discussion on Speed capping? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have only been with SkyBB on the max package since 20th Dec so perhaps to early to form an ...

Alanskyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed capping?

I have only been with SkyBB on the max package since 20th Dec so perhaps to early to form an opinion. For the first couple of days speed tests showed I was uploading consistently at 13.5mb with no connection problems. Marvellous I thought far better than the 4mb that I was getting with Pipex.

However repeated speed tests over the last 3 days show that my upload speed has been reduced to a consistent 6.5mb no matter what time of the day I run a test so don't suspect itís due to network traffic. I have rebooted the router several times and it makes no difference. I don't do any heavy downloading as such p2p etc. but suspect I have been capped. Would very much appreciate anyone could offer any advice or provide an opinion, stats below.

Firmware Version V2.02.34

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 18371 24143 0 66 374 18:45:22
      LAN 100M/Full 92839 65147 0 160 59 96:08:55
      WLAN 11M/54M 905647 574889 0 3354 286 96:08:41
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 13648 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29 db 7.5 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 18 db

Last edited by Alanskyuser; 26-12-07 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Security

2. Advertisement
      HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Speed capping?

Looking at those stats it looks like your not capped, but I may be wrong, as you have a good sync.

Do the speed tests always deliver the exact same result or does it fluctuate slightly?
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The first ? is always, are you using wireless or wired. To get an accurate idea, you really need to plug into the Test socket, behind the Master socket faceplate and connect by the ethernet cable. Use the Show statistics button to get your stats. There is no need to post your Status page, provided you are getting an IP address, which you are. In fact it is not a very good idea to show your MAC address, it may be possible to use it to cause you harm. I would advise hiding it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HSNetwork View Post
      Looking at those stats it looks like your not capped, but I may be wrong, as you have a good sync.

Do the speed tests always deliver the exact same result or does it fluctuate slightly?
      Fluctuates slightly say about o.5mb

Last edited by Alanskyuser; 26-12-07 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Further Info

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The first ? is always, are you using wireless or wired. To get an accurate idea, you really need to plug into the Test socket, behind the Master socket faceplate and connect by the ethernet cable. Use the Show statistics button to get your stats. There is no need to post your Status page, provided you are getting an IP address, which you are. In fact it is not a very good idea to show your MAC address, it may be possible to use it to cause you harm. I would advise hiding it.
      Connected wireless and always have been. The point is nothing has changed with my setup over the past five days. The router is plugged in the master socket and using the test connection does not make any difference...should have mentioned that. I forgot about the possible security issue - thanks for your advice.

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Have you tried doing a speed test while use an ethernet cable? It could be an interference on the same channel your using wireless on.

Looking at it from another angle, considering the time of year and especially what most people do when it is cold outside it could simply be a contention issue on the cables and exchange (although I know sky use their own equipment and contention technically hasnt existed for some time).
      Other than trying to eliminate potential causes of a bottleneck I would say wait until everyone heads back off to work and things should be pretty back to normal again.

Same is in my case but loss of sync wise. I am seeing a lot of sync loss, but until I ca either test out the sagem (as the netgear routers have always nutoriously coused problems on my line) or the crimbo lights come down there is not much im willing to jump at as these are factors I have no control over.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As has been suggested, you should really try connecting with ethernet, it will give you a more accurate picture of what speed you can expect. With your connection speed you should get something over 11Mbs! Your recent decrease could be down to neighbours on the same channel interfering with your signal. Try changing the channel. I assume you have set up your security properly, so that no one is piggybacking your connection?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

homerjay is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chorley
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

i think im having the same issue. ive had sky max for about 2 weeks now and it started off fine reporting 3mbit sync at 57db and i managed speed tests only a couple of hundred kbit below that.

but now even though the router still reports 3mb sync at 57db and i only manage 1.5mbit during speed tests.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 11665010 14882944 0 1619 5598 61:57:29
      LAN 100M/Full 822539 920253 0 589 738 61:59:51
      WLAN 11M/54M 36961 38877 0 75861 61372 00:05:38
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2912 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 57 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 3 db 7 db

whats going on?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

57db is the attenuation which is not good to be honest but your problem is the Noise margin which is ridiculously low. You will struggle for speed with those stats. How are you connected to the telephone line, any additional telephone outlets on the line or extensions etc?

xenonive is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01206
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i think i have the same problem , i was receiving about 15-16 mb for the last 3 months of joining but after coming home after christmas seem to get a max of 8mb with my noise margin gone from 7 to 15db. As person before i havent changed anything and resetting router makes no difference. If anyone has answers or knows if a temp glitch at mo would be glad to know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast