Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky BB / Phone Line Problem

This is a discussion on Sky BB / Phone Line Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Dear Forum, My first post and not too up to date with connecting to the net so here goes. Anyway, ...

englishwhistler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky BB / Phone Line Problem

Dear Forum,

My first post and not too up to date with connecting to the net so here goes.

Anyway, I was with Pipex on the up to 1.5 Mb connection - had perfect dial tone on the phone and net connection was fine.

Phone line in use last night as people rung me and I rung people with no hissing on the line.

Now, transferred to Sky BB today and couldn't connect online through the Sky+ box and when I went to pick the phone up, all I could hear is massive hissing. Disconnected the ADSL line from my socket (not the main one into the house) and the phone line works perfect.

What I'm trying to find out is whether this is a BT fault or if it is my equipment? If its my equipment, why has it gone all hissing on me? Now, I have to take the ADSL line out if I want to call anyone and its just not cricket.

Any advice given gratefully received in a quick effort to sort my line out!!

Thanks
      Pauly P

2. Advertisement
      hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Have you put a filter on the line? If so try switching it as sometimes they are faulty.

hinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thurnby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago, but while I was still on BT Broadband. I assume you have a router connected on the adsl line, looks like something is faulty, might be the router or filters. Make sure all your equipment is correctly plugged in, check the plug going into router. If it's none of the above there might be a bad connection in the ADSL line somewhere.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Pauly

I must learn to read
      Last edited by Wheelie; 16-09-06 at 06:25 PM.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

hinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thurnby
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Wheelie I think your case is different as Pauly can still use the phone with the ADSL line disconnected, which suggests faulty equipment/wiring.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Ah Thanks for pointing that out hinz, sorry I miss read it have read it again and It could be a bad filter or you don't have filters on all the phone points in use and if all the filters are ok and where they should be.

If you still have you old router try connecting that to the line and see what happens, I know it will fail to connect to SkyBB but it will at least tell you if its a faulty router or that BT messed up something.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

englishwhistler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you everyone for the advice.

Anyway, reported fault to BT who said nothing wrong with the line so checked my equipment.

Primary socket, microfilter, telephone - dial tone - ok.
      Secondary Socket, telephone, dial tone - ok
      Secondary Socket, ADSL - ok

After a few combos it turns out it is the double adapter in my secondary socket that Sky put in when I had the Sky+ installed that is causing the problem.

Found a spare double adapter in the shed and hey presto, back online and no fuzz on the phone line.

Rung Sky up to find out about my speed still being slow (1.5Mb) said that on Monday midnight, it will be updated to the max whatever that is.

Problem I have now is that I have a USB network adapter (Cable and Wireless IEEE 802.11g) but can't find the installation disk - does anyone have the necessary files that they can send me?

Also, how do I replace the double adapter that Sky provided as the telephone line goes directly into the bottom and not through a socket. Do you follow?

Thanks again
      Pauly P