Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

OUTLOOK EXPRESS Can receive messages, but cannot send SOLUTION

This is a discussion on OUTLOOK EXPRESS Can receive messages, but cannot send SOLUTION within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have just changed my Internet Service Provider (ISP) from Orange to SKY, but still wish to use Outlook Express ...

buckhouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile OUTLOOK EXPRESS Can receive messages, but cannot send SOLUTION

I have just changed my Internet Service Provider (ISP) from Orange to SKY, but still wish to use Outlook Express and my old Orange email addresses for sending emails and replies.

In Internet Express upon replying to emails from non-SKY email addresses I was getting failure:- The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.orangehome.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.orangehome.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure (SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I am no PC Expert, in fact I am not very PC anyway, but I think the problem lies in that you are receiving Emails from one ISP and sending replies to another ISP.

My original Outlook Express settings prior to moving to SKY were:-
      CLICK Tools / Accounts / Mail / Properties
      pop.orangehome.com
      General:- Name = My Name, Organisation = Empty, Email = myname@myname.orangehome,co,uk , Reply Address = myname@myname.orangehome,co,uk, Include this Account when receiving mail = Ticked
      Servers:- Incoming Mail Server = POP3, Incoming Mail = pop.orangehome.com,, Outgoing Mail = smtp.orangehome.com, Account name = myname.orangehome,co.uk, Password = T---, Remember me = Ticked, Logon using secure P/wd = No Tick, My server requires identification i= No Tick
      Connection + Security = Standard Settings
      Advanced is Standard Settings (No ticks in any boxes, Outgoing Mail SMP = 25, Incoming Mail Pop3 = 110)

SOLUTION:- OUTLOOK EXPRESS SETTING CHANGE (Tools / Accounts / Mail / Properties)
      Servers:- Outgoing Mail = smtp.sky.com, My server requires identification = Tick, SETTINGS = Logon using = Bulls-eye, Account Name = My SKY Name, Password = SKY Password, Remember Me = Tick, Logon using Secure Password = No Tick

Basically you are using your old ISP for receiving messages and using SKY ISP to output them.

Unfortunately, for your SKY email address you still have to access messages through the SKY website.
      As yet I have not found a way of accessing emails and sending reply messages through Outlook Express – if anybody knows how? Please let me know.

SEE ABOVE – The standard settings in Tools / Accounts / Mail / Properties / Advanced work for me, but some SKY users might use different settings.

This Solution was written after a few beers on Christmas Day, but I hope it will help a few people reply to their Christmas messages.
      Happy 2008 Folks! And if this Forum message is available any longer happy 2009 etc.
      Last edited by buckhouse; 02-01-08 at 09:30 AM. Reason: In the Solution the incorrect Server Outgoing smtp address was specified.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to buckhouse For This Useful Post:

pegler (19-12-11)

3. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: OUTLOOK EXPRESS Can receive messages, but cannot send SOLUTION

Erm, if follow that correctly, the change you've made is that you're using authenticated SMTP with Orange's SMTP server. SMTP servers are the machines which move email around the Internet. It is possible to configure an SMTP server to act as a relay but this is regarded as the biggest sin on the Internet, so SMTP servers will only accept an outgoing email if it's from someone they know, or an incoming email if it's to someone they know. Checking incoming email is easy - either the "to" address corresponds to a known customer or it doesn't. Checking outgoing email isn't so easy because it's very easy to "spoof" the "from" address, i.e., make the email look like it comes from james.murdoch@sky.com when in fact it comes from some nasty spammer in China. So what SMTP servers do with outgoing mail is insist either that it comes from someone on its own network (the Orange SMTP server will accept an outgoing message from someone on Orange broadband, for example) or it comes from someone who has "authenticated" themselves (the Orange SMTP server will accept an outgoing message from someone who has provided an Orange username and password, for example).

The problem is that not every ISP will behave like this. Some will only accept an outgoing message if it's from someone on that ISP's network. Sky's new email system (which is actually run by Google) only accept an outgoing message if it's authenticated (it can't use the "are you on my network?" method, because Sky's customers are on Sky's network, not Google's). The upshot of this is that the advice given above doesn't apply to all ISPs, even if it does seem to work for Orange.

As for setting up Outlook to send and receive Sky email, well, there's instructions on how to do it somewhere on this forum already, so I won't going into now. I did notice, however, that the quick link "Set up your Sky email" gives you how to do this on the old system, so isn't applicable now.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

This should really have been posted in the Email section

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

And the quick link for "Set up your Sky Email" in the SkyUser Quick Links panel on the left of the page should be changed to point to something more up-to-date. But I'm guessing the mods and admins are all "wasted" what with it being Christmas.

buckhouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post

This should really have been posted in the Email section
      My appologies. I am new to the forum and failed to scroll down past the Broadband section to find the Email, perhaps it could be moved?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

LOL it's not the end of the world and no doubt when the forum admin/ mods see it then it will be shifted into the correct area

pegler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

does the outgoing port change?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

This is a 4 year old thread
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

vivvli is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01536
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buckhouse View Post
      I have just changed my Internet Service Provider (ISP) from Orange to SKY, but still wish to use Outlook Express and my old Orange email addresses for sending emails and replies.

In Internet Express upon replying to emails from non-SKY email addresses I was getting failure:- The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.orangehome.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.orangehome.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure (SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I am no PC Expert, in fact I am not very PC anyway, but I think the problem lies in that you are receiving Emails from one ISP and sending replies to another ISP.

My original Outlook Express settings prior to moving to SKY were:-
      CLICK Tools / Accounts / Mail / Properties
      pop.orangehome.com
      General:- Name = My Name, Organisation = Empty, Email = myname@myname.orangehome,co,uk , Reply Address = myname@myname.orangehome,co,uk, Include this Account when receiving mail = Ticked
      Servers:- Incoming Mail Server = POP3, Incoming Mail = pop.orangehome.com,, Outgoing Mail = smtp.orangehome.com, Account name = myname.orangehome,co.uk, Password = T---, Remember me = Ticked, Logon using secure P/wd = No Tick, My server requires identification i= No Tick
      Connection + Security = Standard Settings
      Advanced is Standard Settings (No ticks in any boxes, Outgoing Mail SMP = 25, Incoming Mail Pop3 = 110)

SOLUTION:- OUTLOOK EXPRESS SETTING CHANGE (Tools / Accounts / Mail / Properties)
      Servers:- Outgoing Mail = smtp.sky.com, My server requires identification = Tick, SETTINGS = Logon using = Bulls-eye, Account Name = My SKY Name, Password = SKY Password, Remember Me = Tick, Logon using Secure Password = No Tick

Basically you are using your old ISP for receiving messages and using SKY ISP to output them.

Unfortunately, for your SKY email address you still have to access messages through the SKY website.
      As yet I have not found a way of accessing emails and sending reply messages through Outlook Express if anybody knows how? Please let me know.

SEE ABOVE The standard settings in Tools / Accounts / Mail / Properties / Advanced work for me, but some SKY users might use different settings.

This Solution was written after a few beers on Christmas Day, but I hope it will help a few people reply to their Christmas messages.
      Happy 2008 Folks! And if this Forum message is available any longer happy 2009 etc.
      I solved the problem - eventually - by changing the SMTP port to 587 (no SSL). On the SMTP settings page tick authorisation required and "log on using...(yr user name) - tick remember password.