Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Traffic Shaping

This is a discussion on Traffic Shaping within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys and girls. I've had a quick look aroudn the forums but couldn't find an answer :P Well my ...

Maxi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Biddulph
      Broadband ISP: Hoping it will work 2nd time round
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Traffic Shaping

Hi guys and girls.

I've had a quick look aroudn the forums but couldn't find an answer :P

Well my internet has been fine download at full speed on newsgroups for months but today suddenly I've noticed my download speed drop to 510-530kb/sec area where it was 1.65 area before hand. Anyone else experience this? OR is just my newsgroups/pc being broken? :P

I still get full speed on other websites etc.

2. Advertisement
      HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Traffic Shaping

Hi maxi,

That could be down to a number of things. Firstly the source from which your getting the dl or even a bottleneck on your network.
      It could be contention on the network and so forth.
      Best time to try is after midnight as this will be the quietest time of night and many downloads should be minimal...(we hope)
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

Maxi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Biddulph
      Broadband ISP: Hoping it will work 2nd time round
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'll have to see. My connection seems fine just Newsgroups seem to be slow, but saying that it could be the servers themselves and not SKY. I jsut realised that about 5pm they suddenly dropped to 520kb and have been sticking at that speeds.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

its nothing to do with Sky - Sky's LLU service is not throttled/shaped in ANY way
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

SlartyUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01842
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I have just been on the phone to Sky CST Team and after doing several speedtest using speedtester.bt.com, I have been told that the reason my connection drops speed around 17oohrs is in fact because of traffic shaping so no matter what anyone else is being told it does happen.

My connection at the moment is a healthy 7mb Sync is 8048, but after 5 it drops below 1.5mbs and is normally about 832k

I do not or never have download illegal software,music or films but it seems I am being punnished because of people who do.

Sky have said that they can issue a MAC but went on to say "that you may be charged for your outstanding contract term( 4 months at the moment). I was told that all the T&Cs are, yes you guessed it, in the smallprint.

This problem only started about 2 months ago before that I had no issues with speed at all.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you're on Connect, which IS traffic shaped...Base, Mid and Max are not...just noticed the OP doesn't actually have which package he/she's on...

Sky only started doing this in the last few months - I've seen people doing 40GB in a matter of days so the few are ruining it for the many...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

SlartyUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01842
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Angry Re: Traffic Shaping

Oh the old "Off Net" issue. This is still not right, I work in the industry and actually resell ISP provisions. Although many have shaping it the amount that Sky are doing that's causing me the issue.

I realise that Sky (Easynet) are not the only supplier using this system, but I can't even play online games now beacuse of the lag.

Interestingly the gentleman I spoke to in the Customer Service Team told me when i mentioned migrating that all ISP's do this, I told him they certainly don't

There are a number now that don't use TS or limit bandwidth and this number is growing.

I would definatly not recommend sky broadband to users that dont have an exchange fitted with SKY hardware. Always make sure you will not be an "Offnet" user before signing up no matter how good the offer seems.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlartyUK View Post
      There are a number now that don't use TS or limit bandwidth and this number is growing.
      Please show me one who is on the re-badged BT system and does not have traffic shaping or limit bandwidth, I bet you cannot.