Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

PPP Server Down Error

This is a discussion on PPP Server Down Error within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All First of all Happy Xmas to you all. Ive been trying to help a friend out, who has ...

skyblurule is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bexhill on Sea
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

PPP Server Down Error

Hi All

First of all Happy Xmas to you all.

Ive been trying to help a friend out, who has just migrated from Tiscali to Sky from 14 Dec, which was his activation date. So far he has not been to connect, as the amber light on the Sky router (the new black style ones) is a solid amber light.

I spent over an hour on teh phone with Sky yesterday to try and resolve the issue, and in the end, all they said was that there was an issue with Offnet browsers, which I was told people who connect through BT exchanges.
      They also said this has been a probl;em since Dec 8, and as of yesterday did not know when it would be resolved.
      My questions are
      1. Is this true, as my frien who lives 3 doors away connects fine, and goes through the same exchange
      2. Is there anytyhing else I can do to try and resolve?, or am I purely in teh hands of Sky
      3. If I am, should I constantly hassle them - I got the feeling yesterday that they werent that interested in resolving the issue
      4. Could I revert back to using the Modem they had with Tiscali (Sagem Fost), providing I could find out the password and username?, or could I use an alternative router?

Many thanks for any help on this - stuck with what to suggest at the moment

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: PPP Server Down Error

There has indeed been an issue with connect customers suffering outages, at the start it was all Connect users but now it's just a small percentage of users.
      If it's the new black router you cannot get to the username and password, the new router has yet to be hacked for it.
      The only thing you can do is call back and see if you get someone else who will look into the activation for you but if it is the connect outage it's in the hands of BT as it's their equipment.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There have been several cases of routers being sent out without being scanned into the Sky system. This means that the user/password in it will not authenticate. You should phone Sky, armed with the MAC and SN from the router(printed on the label) and explain to them that you have heard this has happened, can they check if your MAC is enabled. If it has not been, ask for a supervisor, give them the details and you should be on line within a few hours.

The orange light means you are syncing with the exchange but not being allowed on to Sky's network.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

if the router has an IP address its not the same problem...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

if the router has an IP address its not the same problem...
      If the ADSL light is orange, I don't think it will get an IP address as it is not authenticating. My friend, who had this problem was told by Sky, "it's OK, some of the routers have an orange light instead of green". Funnily enough it turned green when he connected.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

amber light is no ip, green is ip...

didnt read that part of the OP - prob a stale session as the new rouers with their silly -SNRs screw up the exchange software...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I also doubt a stale session, as it has not even been on line to start a session

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

then it might be faulty jumpering - but Ive seen many a user have an initial stale session on first time setups so i can happen - just not very often!

whats the downstream/upstream on the router status section out of interest?