Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vista With Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Vista With Sky Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well well well been on sky broadband wirelessly for a few months now.But i thought hey why not try windows ...

Mat28 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Radstock
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Vista With Sky Broadband

Well well well been on sky broadband wirelessly for a few months now.But i thought hey why not try windows xp again (as i been getting frustrated with Vista) anyway on vista i struggle to get any decent speed at all unless im right next to the router itself.
      So after installing xp and getting it all online i decide download some torrents and every single one i download i get at least 4mb broadband wirelessly where as before on vista i barely managed 17 k/b a sec.So im staying on windows xp now.Just wish i could find out what was causing downloads in vista to be so slow (unless i was right next to router) Its not just torrents though as torrents depend on seeds.Its downloading anythin even through IE.

And also my broadband has been going 2 days now.And before it was dropping a few times a day.This could i spose be a number of things unrelated to me going back to xp again.However its a bit odd when i been on vista for 4 months since i had sky bb max and getting several drop outs daily.Then installing xp and everything been working without any problems at all for 2 days and still going strong.
      Last edited by Mat28; 19-12-07 at 01:18 AM.

2. Advertisement
      rbentley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Vista With Sky Broadband

Well, it's certainly not vista at fault. I max out the available 16mb.

Poor drivers, possibly?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Could be anything tbh.The drivers i use for vista are made for vista although that dont mean there very good lol.I noticed on vista though when i installed the driver from the cd (same as xp)I had a driver update for vista on windows update so that might be it.Anyway im dual booting right now so i ll have a mess about later ...

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I do seem to remember that when I first starting using Vista, some of the drivers actually seemed to be older and less "evolved" than the drivers I had been using under XP. I guess if the peripheral manufacturer had submitted Vista drivers to Microsoft at the start of the Vista beta test period, they would have been very much out-of-date by the time that Vista was actually released to the public.

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The dl speeds I get on Vista are great, just as good as on XP, the only problem I see is that after x amount of hours/minutes the browsing speed simply falls over and slows right down to a crawl. I check the XP laptop and its normal.
      Im undecided whether this is caused by the wireless USB adapter im using or whether it is an issue in vista itself when used on wireless.

Im already looking at moving the router to where the PC so I can stick it on cable as its annoyed me more than anything...But I still like vista and would carefully consider before switching to XP again...
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah exact same thing as me mate.But since being back on xp i dont get these problems,infact my internet never drops out even.Im on my 3rd day of it not dropping now.Not had that situation before usually it was dropping 2-3 x a day with Vista.

Being On Vista
      . Broadband drop out sometimes 2-3 times a day
      . Slow download speeds unless next to router
      . Broadband dosent slow to a crawl and become unusable(router needs restart)

Being On Win Xp

. Broadband Never drops out and the connection remains and constant speed after currently 3 days of use

. Fast download speeds near router/away from router.So i get a solid 4mb of my 6mb from my bedroom.

. Connection dosent slow to a crawl requiring a router reboot

All this could be driver related from my wireless adapter.However im starting to think it could be Vista itself.I have other pcs i ll see if i get the same with them...
      Last edited by Mat28; 19-12-07 at 06:59 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think it is probably a driver problem. Go to it's manufacturer's site and look for the latest drivers. Vista is better set up for networking 'out of the box' than XP ever was. Many manufacturers were/are very slow to come forward with new stable drivers, unfortunately Vista and MS get the blame.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I cant say that the broadband connection drops as it doesnt. But certainly what I have seen is just my browsing speed slowing to a crawl ont he vista box but not on the xp lappy.
      This most definately puts it within the realm of either the wireless adapter or vista. I am using the latest drivers for the adapter so cant try any others out...
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

"Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

One thing that will slow down Vista is having 2 firewalls enabled, check that you only have one.

The other biggest offender is McAffee anti virus, I know a lot swear by it, but for some reason it does not seem to work very well with Vista and can slow the connection to a crawl. Maybe other AVs also slow it, but this one seems to be the worst offender. If you are running it, try turning it off for a while and see how it goes. Obviously if you do this, you must try to keep to 'clean' sites

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The other biggest offender is McAffee anti virus
      Well I am running Sophos 7.0.6 and being (in my eyes) an industry leader in the field id think that there is less liklihood that this could be the cause, although not impossible.

I am running zonealarm though as well as windows defender. The funny thing is though that browsing is fine for the first hour or few but then slows down after this.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast