Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Connect Slow Speeds Help

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Slow Speeds Help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok this is the first time I've ever posted on a forum so I hope I do it right and ...

rockey85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ranskill
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Connect Slow Speeds Help

Ok this is the first time I've ever posted on a forum so I hope I do it right and follow the rules.

I recently subscribed to Sky BB after being told that I could get the Max Package (16Mbps WooHoo). Then I get told by sky that they have no LLU equipment at my exchange (Ranskill).

Anyway to the point, My line was activated with Sky on the 11th Dec and my sync speed was 288Kbps up and down. I am now on day 7 and have had no sign of testing on my line, no drop outs or change in sync speeds. Sky keep telling me that I have to wait till the end of the "10 day stabilization period" before they can do anything as BT will just reject any fault report. But what bugs me is that according to the router stats My line could potentially sync at 5088Kbps. I have looked all over the net trying to find out if no change in speed after 7 days is what could be considered as "normal" but with no luck if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Router Stats

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 288 Kbps, Downstream rate = 288 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 29.8 22.0
      Attn(dB): 57.0 31.5
      Pwr(dBm): 10.7 11.9
      Max(Kbps): 5088 948
      Rate (Kbps): 288 288
      G.dmt framing
      K: 10(0) 10

R: 0 0
      S: 1 1
      D: 1 1
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 10 10
      M: 1 1
      T: 1 1
      R: 0 0
      S: 1.0000 1.0000
      L: 88 88
      D: 1 1
      Counters
      SF: 258182 258180
      SFErr: 0 0
      RS: 0 0
      RSCorr: 0 0
      RSUnCorr: 0 0
      HEC: 0 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 2981345 0
      Data Cells: 285817 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0
      ES: 0 0
      SES: 0 0
      UAS: 12 0
      Total time = 1 hours 13 min 25 sec
      SF = 258182
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Latest 1 day time = 1 hours 13 min 25 sec
      SF = 258182
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Latest 15 minutes time = 13 min 25 sec
      SF = 47402
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52990
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52871
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 51989
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

Thanks for any help anyone can give

Rockey85

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Slow Speeds Help

I'll stand corrected but I think your capped as your snr is quite high. There is a training period of 10 days on connect but if your line is capped at such a low level its never gonna sync above that. Sky seem reluctant to get BT to do anything ( i remember this from my connect days ) presumably as it costs them.
      The other annoying thing about this is that training period is conveiniently longer than skys cooling off period - make of that what you will.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So do you think that if I wait till the end of the 10 day period that I may see an improvement. If I don't I take it that I should contact sky and tell them that I am still not getting any better speeds.

Also just thought I would add I have been to the Test Result website and only got a max speed of 240Kbps. There was no IP Profile displayed, which also concerns me as I thought that I would of had one!?

P.S Day 8 still no change to previous stats

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Call them back today and tell them your line profile has been capped, they may not do anything until the 10 days are up but you never know. Also you can try to use the contact us link on: sky.com, customer support, contact us, complete our general enquiry form
      Here as that will go to the tech department. It may take a few days to be actioned though.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok so I phoned sky back today, went through all the normal tests. Change your filter, are you in master socket, etc,etc. Then I explained to the guy on the phone that my line had been capped and there had been no sign of testing on my line since the day it was activated. Then the guy noticed that my "10 day stabilization period" hadn't finished till tomorrow and told me to call back tomorrow if the speed had not changed. I did ask him again if he would get someone to contact BTw about the issue, but he just said to call back again tomorrow.

I am getting very fed up with this especially when I have a POTENTIAL 5088Kbps connection waiting. I know i wont get that with contention as such but surely faster than 288Kbps.

I will let you all know what happens tomorrow (maybe the magic BB fairy will come tonight???)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have a look at the link in my post in THIS thread(8), it may be of interest to you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi IsItMe,

Checked that link, it doesn't really relate to the problem which I was having which I have found out this morning. It was a good read though and very informative.

ok so here is how it went when I spoke to sky this morning.

I spoke to a tier 1 support woman who went through all of the usual tests again just to rule them out. Once this was finished I told her that I knew what the problem was and explained to her that no testing had actually taken place on my line and that it had been capped at 288Kbps. She put me on hold to speak to someone. I was then passed to her supervisor who asked me once again what was wrong and I explained that we had done all the tests, the 10 days were up and no testing had been done on my line. He asked me to hold while he spoke to tier 3 support. He came back on the line and told me that they have triggered a re-train on my line which is due to start on Monday 24th. So hopefully this will be all sorted out next week and I will finally get closer to the speeds which my line actually supports.

For anyone else who has the same symptoms as I did upon activation. NO change in speed at all with no drop outs, but with the ability to go faster is not normal. Unfortunately sky wont do anything until after the initial 10 day period has finished but as soon as it has explain to them what is wrong and try to sound like to you know what your talking about too :-)

I will keep you all posted on what my speeds are once the re-grade has begun.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me with this

Rockey85

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sometimes it comes down to who you talk to and if they know what to look at. Some T1 follow the script to the letter as otherwise they can get into trouble as calls are quality checked and if you deviate you get told off. Too many tellings off and you get into big trouble.