Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sky broadband - transfer rates

This is a discussion on sky broadband - transfer rates within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have Sky broadband with a download speed of upto 1.6Mb. I am quite happy with this but in reality ...

hennie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy sky broadband - transfer rates

I have Sky broadband with a download speed of upto 1.6Mb. I am quite happy with this but in reality the speed are substantially lower than this. When I download from internet sites the transfer rate shown during the download frequently shows around 40Kb/Sec which is slower than a modem.

I know there are issues such as the line quality, distance from the exchange, contention, etc. What I like to know is apart from these are there any other events that reduced the speed? How is the transfer rate determined? Is it determined by the website? Or by Sky itself? Any information will be welcomed.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: sky broadband - transfer rates

firstly, your profile says ur on Base - i assume this is wrong...

secondly, are you wireless? if so, try a wired connection.

thirdly, the site you're downloading from will have an affect on the transfer rate. Try the speed test in my sig and see if anything improves.

fourthly, are you using an extention of some sort? if so, use your master/test socket and see if there's any improvement
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Red face Re: sky broadband - transfer rates

Thanks for the response. I confirm that I am on base and used a wired router. Your suggested test shows 1404 for download and 270 for upload.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Are you running any kind of extension on the phoneline? Are you plugged into the main socket? have you tried switching filters or tried the connection with nothing but the sky router connected to the telephone line?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Base is up to 2Mbps, Max is up to 16Mbps - so a transfer rate of around what you have is right for a speed test (like Speedtest.net) but the BT one i have on my sig should be an http download which will show a transfer rate of around 250KB/sec...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Red face Re: sky broadband - transfer rates

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      Base is up to 2Mbps, Max is up to 16Mbps - so a transfer rate of around what you have is right for a speed test (like Speedtest.net) but the BT one i have on my sig should be an http download which will show a transfer rate of around 250KB/sec...
      I have connected the router directly to the telephone socket; I have run TCP Optimizer and I have run a speedtest which shows a download speed of 1.4Mb which I understand is the line speed between my exchange and the router. Still do not understand why the transfer rate shows 42Kb/Sec when downloading files from the internet.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Speed test sites test the speed of your broadband connection by downloading a file of a known size and timing how long it takes. They don't do anything "clever" like connecting to your router to look at its settings.

There's probably two issues here. Firstly, the 42kb/sec download speed that you're reporting might actually be 42 kilobytes per second, which is equivalent to 336 kilobits per second. If that's the case, then the difference between the download speed and your connection speed isn't that great really.

The other issue is that the download speeds from different sites can be very, very different from each other. The speed tester sites have big, fat network connections, so that the even people with very fast broadband connections download at the fastest rate their connection can support. Other sites may not be so well connected. Or they may be extraordinarily busy. I'm afraid that's the way the Internet is, it can be a bit hit-and-miss sometimes.

It's difficult to know whether there's an actual problem with your broadband connection, but the fact that you're getting good results from speedtest.net suggests that everything's OK.