Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Serious Intermittent Connection

This is a discussion on Serious Intermittent Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm new to the site and have only had sky broadband for a couple of months. Previously the connecction ...

Mase is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Serious Intermittent Connection

Hi,

I'm new to the site and have only had sky broadband for a couple of months. Previously the connecction was great and was connecting at around 14.5mb, however over the past 2 weeks the connection has been up and down like a yoyo. I've been through all the diagnostics things with sky, like the microfilter, checking the test socket, removing everything from the microfilter bar the router etc. and it has made no difference. I've been sent a new router and this had made no difference either.

According to the 'customer solution' team members I've been speaking to, our line is good for receiving such speeds (we're less than a km from the exchange, we can see it from our lounge!), however our noise margin was very low late last week and the line is producing a huge amount of errors. I was told that the noise margin was the cause of the intermittent connection, but I've been keeping an eye on it and even when its around 12, it just drops out all together and the internet light on the router goes as well. I've had another go today at changing the filters etc. and its made no difference.

If anyone can suggest any possible cause for the intermittent connection that I can mention to the guys at sky, it would be appreciated. I can't really fault sky for their effort, but its been a problem for 2 weeks above now and its affecting our uni course (student flat, with 6 mechanical engineers.... its a laugh a minute!!) so i need to get it sorted.

I've got the latest stats from the router:

System Up Time 00:50:27
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 30877 47227 0 1444 23466 00:43:23
      LAN 10M/100M 57136 37846 0 24376 1766 00:50:25
      WLAN 11M/54M 252 0 0 23 0 00:50:15

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10333 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32.0 db 18.3 db
      Noise Margin 9.5 db 12.5 db

I've not got much idea as to whether their any good or not??

Sorry about the essay!

Cheers

Steve

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Serious Intermittent Connection

Your attentuation is pretty high bearing in mind you can see the exchange from your house. I take it that when you say you can "see" the exchange, you don't mean with binoculars, do you?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

We're on the 6th floor and on a little bit of a hill, so we can see the exchange across the city, but we're no more than a 5 minute walk from the exchange. According to the DSL zoneUK website, we're 520m as the crow flies from the exchange.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As the crow flies is very different to cable run distance. Try here for a slightly more accurate distance.
      Do you get the same stats with the router plugged into the test socket and is anything else plugged into the line? If you get those stats on the test socket with nothing plugged in then it may be a line issue.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky have told me I'm 1400m from the exchange and that site say's:

Distance:- Direct: 528 metres
      (appx)* By Road: 644 metres

I've tried it in the test socket with nothing else connected to the line (phone, sky box taken out) and it made no difference.

However I've just been told to remove the switch from the system (router connects to switch that routes to each room of our 6 bed student flat) to see if that makes a difference? Could this be the cause of the problem, as it hasn't been touched since we moved in and the internet has been working perfectly up until the a couple of weeks ago. I can't see the connection between that and the line dropping constantly personally, but I'll give it a go over christmas as they'll only be one person here anyway.

Anyone got any more possible things I can try ?

Cheers

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I suppose the switch might be faulty in some way, but it's hard to see how it could fail in a way that would exhibit the symptoms you're seeing. Normally, a switch used in this way would have no impact on your connectivity.

In my house, there's a single Ethernet connection from my router to a 100Mbit switch behind the TV, and then a connection from that switch to a gigabit switch which serves all the other Ethernet connections in the house. So by the time it gets to my PC, my connection has gone through two switches, and I don't have any problem.

I suspect the cause of your problems is simply down to the daily and seasonal changes in physical line characteristics that occur with ADSL. A decent router will normally cope with these changes, but the Sky router isn't a decent router - it's a buggy router.

Until Sky release the firmware update for the router, a temporary fix is to use the Mognuts Utility Page to set the target noise margin to something higher than the default 7dB level. This will reduce your speed, but improve the reliability. The other thing you can do is ask Sky to look at the problem. They will "cap" your connection to a lower speed thereby achieving the same effect. The downside to doing that is that only Sky can remove the cap once it's been set, and hopefully, when the firmware update is finally released, you'll be able to go back to the full speed your line can support without the disconnections.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Oh hold on, I've just re-read your original post, and what I wrote there ^^^^ is nonsense. Sorry.

Apart from the bit about the switch not being the likely cause of the problem.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No, what you wrote is still quite valid as i suspect the software is the same for my original router and the 'new' one, well both are showing software version 1.02.28, which i assume means their the same? Either way, the new router has made no difference, if anything its worse!

Sky have now capped the line at 8 meg, which has improved the noise margin, but its still dropping out every now an then. Think i'm going to monitor it over a longer period and hope it settles down a bit!