Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help me with this ASAP and i'll give ya 10 via paypal

This is a discussion on Help me with this ASAP and i'll give ya 10 via paypal within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Right a little bit of back story why this is so important. The developer i hire recently purchased Sky ...

AndyDel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Langley Mill
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Help me with this ASAP and i'll give ya 10 via paypal

Hi,

Right a little bit of back story why this is so important.

The developer i hire recently purchased Sky broadband on the see / speak / surf package. He received the sagem router (I presume so as it's black).

Now we are creating a product for a company, the companies server is located within a large organization. They use Nortel VPN connectivity client to authenticate.. Unfortunately he is having problems connecting. "Remote Host not responding".

Normally i'd just get the a developer to come round to my place but he lives 250 miles away from me and is only part time, has a full job as a senior developer elsewhere so can only do this stuff during the evening.. So this needs to work from home.. He has no one else in his location which he can borrow internet from (Because of recently moving), so using someone else's PC to upload the development is out of the question.

He did send me the actual code and I uploaded it but he needs to access the server as weve experienced some problems he needs to review directly.

I've read that others are having a problem with this.. So what i desire is help on the subject. Baring in mind he needs to get this sorted by Tuesday / Wednesday evening as we have a dry run organized for Thursday. Getting sky to send the earlier netgear white one which does work is out of the question as it won't come in time.

Now i suggested buying another router but he seems to think the username / pw is hard coded into the router and sky won't release those details to him.. True? I am getting him to ring up sky tomorrow and yell at them for these details, if so any router should do for him and Im going to just order him a netgear one if this is possible.

If anyone can suggest a fix and that leads to the resolution of this problem i will pay 10 directly to them via paypal, it's just a small incentive as i've google'd the hell out of this for him and i'm at my wits end.

Thankyou everyone.

2. Advertisement
      madcat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help me with this ASAP and i'll give ya 10 via paypal

Hi i would advise you not to contact sky demanding the usernames and password which we dont have access to, have you tried disabling the firewall on the router and also setting up his client pc in the DMZ.

This will bypass any security features on the router which may be preventing him from connecting just tell him to make sure he has a good personal firewall and that it is set to allow the VPN program and ports.

now i do not know a great deal about VPN's but i would imagine it would be easier to troubleshoot with the following steps if they dont resolve it.

madcat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sorry forgot to add, dont forget to tell him to restart the firewall and cancel the DMZ when he doesnt need the VPN this will help keep any nasties out.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madcat View Post
      Hi i would advise you not to contact sky demanding the usernames and password which we dont have access to, have you tried disabling the firewall on the router and also setting up his client pc in the DMZ.

This will bypass any security features on the router which may be preventing him from connecting just tell him to make sure he has a good personal firewall and that it is set to allow the VPN program and ports.

now i do not know a great deal about VPN's but i would imagine it would be easier to troubleshoot with the following steps if they dont resolve it.
      will NEVER happen - only thing they could do it possibly send a Netgear instead (be it V1 or V2). also, Sk BB is a consumer service and you'll get no sympathy from Sky as you can't use this for work purposes...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I have gone through IPSec settings, firewall both personally and on router with my developer. Nothing has worked..

There is another post on the forum with people experiencing the same problem:

Sky Sagem Router & Nortel VPN Client Problem

The guy experiencing it seems to know his I.T and still can't get it to work..

There is absolutely no way to get the username / password?

Thanks

not unless the CST agent wants to lose his job - no

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

saf
      saf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You could possibly buy a netgear v1 router from eBay, lots on there. If it still has the original firmware on then it should have a valid username and password built in. Which should work? Buy one which is sealed and hasn’t been opened.

Example - used but implies in the descrption that it is still locked so probably would work.
      Last edited by saf; 17-12-07 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks

Unfortunately there is no way for me to get the username / password.. Have tried through sky, but as others have said they won't release that information. So a 2nd router even an older Sky one won't work, as i'd presume after ending the service the 2nd hand routers will not function (at least the username / pass within them wont).

I requested whether they could send him the older version, they said they won't do that anymore.

Basically.. I think there is no resolution because i personally believe they've restricted these routers for passthrough stuff.

Thanks for all you suggestions guys. Looks like his only options are

1) 56k modem (which is going to be hard to manage)
      2) Finds someone else with internet

Thanks

i find it funny to think they can't send out/request you get a new netgear one as the point of having two makes was to get around hardware conflicts.....strange

Thanks

I'm going to try and get my developer to ring up and request a new netgear router, just incase.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast