Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Help me with this ASAP and i'll give ya £10 via paypal

This is a discussion on Help me with this ASAP and i'll give ya £10 via paypal within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by AndyDel Unfortunately there is no way for me to get the username / password.. Have tried through ...

saf
      saf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help me with this ASAP and i'll give ya £10 via paypal

Quote Originally Posted by AndyDel View Post
      Unfortunately there is no way for me to get the username / password.. Have tried through sky, but as others have said they won't release that information. So a 2nd router even an older Sky one won't work, as i'd presume after ending the service the 2nd hand routers will not function (at least the username / pass within them wont)
      I'm not actually sure whether sky do invalidate the username / pass. I have used a couple of different sky routers with different usernames and password and they have all authenticated. Donít think the username / password is actually linked with an account? I recon all sky routers can authenticate when on a sky connection regardless of the account. Sure somebody else knows whether this is true or not?

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AndyDel View Post
      Basically.. I think there is no resolution because i personally believe they've restricted these routers for passthrough stuff.
      Just to be clear about this, there are three different routers in use with Sky Broadband, the original white Netgear one (probably no longer available), the new black Netgear one and the black Sagem one. The other person who reported having problems with Nortel VPN had a Sagem router and managed to persuade Sky to send a Netgear one. I don't know if he got one of the new, black Netgear routers, or one of the last of the old white ones. And I don't know, assuming he got a new, black Netgear router, if that worked any better than the Sagem one.

At the end of the day, Sky Broadband is sold as a domestic product, and shouldn't be used for business purposes. I think it unlikely that Sky have deliberately disabled VPN passthrough, but I can see why they might not consider it a must-have feature for domestic users.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saf View Post
      I recon all sky routers can authenticate when on a sky connection regardless of the account. Sure somebody else knows whether this is true or not?
      Well, we know that if the router isn't scanned before it leaves the depot, then it won't authenticate itself, so it's certainly possible for a connection username/password pair to be invalid. This in turn implies that Sky authenticates a connection login by checking against a database of username and password pairs, and so it should at least be possible for Sky to disable a username.

But like you, I've had more than one router and all the usernames and passwords still work. It's possible, however, that when they send out a replacement router, they don't disable the previous login, but when a customer cancels their broadband service they do disable the login. That would make sense.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

one waty round would be to ask some kind person on here who has a few sky routers (old netgear ones) if they would get the Username and password out of one of the old boxes they do not use, and send you the info, you could then buy whatever router you want and put the details in

or

see if anyone who has a few old routers that work, if they could send you one by parcleforce for tomorrow (you could then pay them for the "postage" for there trouble)

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Gasp! That would be against Sky's terms and conditions!

saf
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Well, we know that if the router isn't scanned before it leaves the depot, then it won't authenticate itself, so it's certainly possible for a connection username/password pair to be invalid. This in turn implies that Sky authenticates a connection login by checking against a database of username and password pairs, and so it should at least be possible for Sky to disable a username.

But like you, I've had more than one router and all the usernames and passwords still work. It's possible, however, that when they send out a replacement router, they don't disable the previous login, but when a customer cancels their broadband service they do disable the login. That would make sense.
      Agree that would all make sense. If that is the case tho I would also have thought that when sending out a replacement router they would cancel the previous routers. The last time i spoke to Tier 3 regarding a connection issue they where able to tell me the MAC address of the most recent router sent out to me but could see no details on the previous two routers sent, yet the username/passwords all still work.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You might not want to cancel the previous login details. Say your router's wireless connectivity stopped working but wired network was still OK. Or your router more-or-less worked, but kept resetting every 30 minutes or so. It wouldn't be too good if, when you asked for a replacement router, your current router was completely disabled. And given that there was an assumption that no-one would ever see their connection username and password (it was only because the original router was "hacked" that anyone ever did see them), if the router was completely broken, there'd be no need to disable its username and password.

No, I can see the logic in not cancelling the username and password when a replacement router is ordered., and likewise, I can see the logic in cancelling the username and password when a customer terminates their broadband connection with Sky.

But your comments do make me think that they only "track" one router per customer. So if I were to cancel my broadband service with Sky, the login details of my current router could be disabled, but the previous two logins might still work.

Sooner or later, though, someone at Sky is going to ask, "If we've got a million customers, how come our RADIUS server has two million accounts on it?"

saf
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sooner or later, though, someone at Sky is going to ask, "If we've got a million customers, how come our RADIUS server has two million accounts on it?"
      I was thinking the same. Surely it would not be good practice to have potentially hundreds of thousands/millions of redundant login details on the server. Maybe inactive usernames/password expire say after a year.

Anyway if the OP is really desperate for a Netgear V1 then they would probably have a fair chance of getting one that will work, especially if the person selling is still a sky user and has several spares.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

and why have we sent out 3 million Routers

madcat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      will NEVER happen - only thing they could do it possibly send a Netgear instead (be it V1 or V2). also, Sk BB is a consumer service and you'll get no sympathy from Sky as you can't use this for work purposes...
      i agreed with you in my 1st post

i believe sky are cancelling a large number of these inactive accounts as we have been briefed on what to do if caller phones up but they are not on our system they are doing the same for sky tv and cancelling around 200 accounts a day for the next month or so.

to the OP, did you put the developers pc into the DMZ like i suggested as that would be bypassing just about everything on the router?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast