Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Will My Speed Change

This is a discussion on Will My Speed Change within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am thinking of changing to sky (again). I am currently on UKOnline (easynet) LLU and I get a sync ...

Scooter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Will My Speed Change

I am thinking of changing to sky (again). I am currently on UKOnline (easynet) LLU and I get a sync speed of 13006 down and 764 up. I have a line that is supposed to only support 5MB according to everybody including sky.

The only reason for the difference is because I was A BETA tester for BT Broadband when it started and got parts of my line upgraded as well as a dedicated broadband faceplate installed with a PCB behind it instead of the normal wires.

Now as my speed is 13Mb just now and sky keep telling me I can only get 5 MB max dows that mean they will cap me there or if my line speed drops they wont bother fixing it?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Will My Speed Change

They will probably just send you the router and only worry about capping if you line proves unstable. Depending on what was upgraded Sky may not fully support the line but I would guess that most of your install is perfectly normal and is only running quickly because old bits were replaced with brand new. Hopefully some of your "upgrades" weren't bits at the exchange or you may find when you shift off the "beta" equipment your lines speed goes down the pan.

Scooter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As far as im aware the upgrades were outside of the exchange (old cable fixes done away with and replaced with new cable). As for in the home I cannot get broadband anywhere else in my home because I Dont have the necessary wiring. My broadband comes in on the ADSL faceplate upstairs and thats all. I have never needed a filter or anything else. I am also on a completely different ISP now so if they were going to take me off the beta equipment it would have been done 3 years ago when I left BT.

UKOnline have always made sure I could get the full speed it was just because I had seen a few posts on here where sky have washed thier hands because the user was still within thier max speed statistics that they should be

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

So do you actually have a dedicated phone line for ADSL, or are you referring to an ADSL extension from your master socket. If it is the former you will have to make sure that the proper number is used and not your voice line.

Maybe if you could post your Attenuation and SNR, someone will give you an idea as to what you can expect. Sky are always conservative in the speed estimates, probably to keep themselves in the right if anything goes wrong.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.