Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky LLU and keeping my BT line and other new Qs

This is a discussion on Sky LLU and keeping my BT line and other new Qs within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am about to migrate to Sky BB (I have the TV now) - I now have my MAC code, ...

skyhat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky LLU and keeping my BT line and other new Qs

I am about to migrate to Sky BB (I have the TV now) - I now have my MAC code, but am concerned before I give it over to Sky as I have heard that because Sky use LLU (my exchange is LLU) then they have to convert you over from your existing BT line.
      I definitely want to keep my BT line and BT line rental as I prefer to keep my options open and am happy to use my existing prefix telco (over BT line).

So my concerns:
      1) is the Sky LLU exchage equipment somehow separate from the BT line/voice side of things ?

2) if i want to cancel/leave Sky BB, how easy is it ? do they give a MAC ?
      I appreciate that that would meanremoing the Sky LLU equip and putting BT based equip back in -
      my current ISP claims it is hard and I would have to have my BT line reinstated - are they misleading me ?

3) will i now get the new v2 router - I want to keep using my existing router as it has voip ports and usb for printer sharing - but the new v2 does not let you get at ones UI and pw

4) my MAc now expires on 12 Jan - and with xMAs etc i wonder if there could be delays in getting router and activation in time ?

I think I will go for the mid 5 package - althought I only get 3.7mb connection now.

any other thoughts appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky LLU and keeping my BT line and other new Qs

Who are you paying line rental to at the moment? If it's BT and you are only taking Sky ADSL then you will continue using your BT line as normal, nothing will change. You will get the new router sent to you by courier so delays should be minimal.

moleman is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyhat View Post
      So my concerns:
      1) is the Sky LLU exchage equipment somehow separate from the BT line/voice side of things ?
      Yes.

2) if i want to cancel/leave Sky BB, how easy is it ? do they give a MAC ?
      I appreciate that that would meanremoing the Sky LLU equip and putting BT based equip back in -
      my current ISP claims it is hard and I would have to have my BT line reinstated - are they misleading me ?
      The various ISP equipment is already there, you will just be "patched" to whichever ISP you are using. Don't forget you are signing up to a 1 year min contract.

3) will i now get the new v2 router - I want to keep using my existing router as it has voip ports and usb for printer sharing - but the new v2 does not let you get at ones UI and pw
      Yes you will get the new router.

4) my MAc now expires on 12 Jan - and with xMAs etc i wonder if there could be delays in getting router and activation in time ?
      Possibly.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

1) The exchange equipment is separate from BTs. The voice line remains the same. You can take the free calls option without taking Sky rental.
      2) Sky give out MACs, as all ISPs must do by law. Remember there is a 12 months contract, but you have 8 days after connection to leave without penalty. Changing back involves unplugging you from one DSLAM in the exchange and plugging you into another. Your existing ISP is lying, which is a good enough reason to leave them.
      3) You will in all probability get the new router. You may be able to connect your existing router to the Sky one via ethernet.
      4) There should not be any delays, but coming up to the holiday period, who can say.

If you get 3.7Mbs now, you will get the same, or better with Sky, although you may have to make improvements to your internal wiring to accommodate the different type of connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks for prompt responses.

just to confirm - I am with BT line rental and want to keep it like that.

a) someone mentioned i may be able to connect my current router via ethernet to the sky one - I did not know this was possible. If so, just how do I configure them or what technology is involved ?

b) If Sky put in there own LLU wiget on my BT line at the exchange, then if I had to migrate back to a BT-based (ipstream) ISP, then do they need to remove the Sky wiget and replace it with the BT one, or are both already there and they repatch somehow. I ask, as i assume this all affect just how easy/long it might take to migrate back to BT.

i currently use Madasafish.com - who are v.good and i feel bad about leaving them, but the sky deal seems too good to ignor and most on this forum seem v.happy - I will monitor this form today and then probably sign up tomorrow/Monday

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yes you can keep your BT Line rental, this is what ive done.

a) You will receive one of the new V2 routers. You will not have the option to set them to bridged mode or anything or get the username and password out of them. The only thing you could do is use your existing router as a second switch/AP.

b) If you wanted to leave sky, at present you would have to order a full cease and reprovide as there is no migration method in place from sky LLU back to normal IPStream.
      With any luck this will soon be changed so it is possible to move back over without the hassle of a cease and reprovide, but to my knowledge at the moment this is the only method there is.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

if you are happy with your current ISP, you could ring them and let them know you are thinking of leaving, they may do a deal to keep you (that way you get to keep a ISP you are happy with and you may get a better deal)

might be worth a try, they can only say no

(not that there is anything wrong with sky, for me its great and cheap)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HSNetwork View Post
      Yes you can keep your BT Line rental, this is what ive done.

a) You will receive one of the new V2 routers. You will not have the option to set them to bridged mode or anything or get the username and password out of them. The only thing you could do is use your existing router as a second switch/AP.
      I dont think I caan as I have a Draytek with integrated ADSL modem - any thoughts ?
      b) If you wanted to leave sky, at present you would have to order a full cease and reprovide as there is no migration method in place from sky LLU back to normal IPStream.
      With any luck this will soon be changed so it is possible to move back over without the hassle of a cease and reprovide, but to my knowledge at the moment this is the only method there is.
      So what is the point of Sky providing a MAc - I know they do as a friend left them for Cable. What BB down time implications are then then of cease and reprovide

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

As I say, im not 100% on the migration process. It has always been possible to generate a MAC on LLU but to my knowledge not migrate from LLU to IPStream.

I know that migration from LLU to IPStream has been setup for one provider (Tiscali I think) but I dont think the same is true for most other LLU providers out there.

With regards to moving to cable, well no MAC was ever required I dont think. As cable provide everything via..well cable.
      The time implications somewhat depend. If it is right in what I am saying then it could take up to 12 or 15 days to cease your LLU connection (remove the ability to have broadband basically) and then again when signing up to a new provider this could be up to 12 - 15 days to set it up again.
      On top of this there is also a cost aspect to be considered. If moving back IPStream you will either need to pay the activation fee yourself or have te provider subsidise it at the cost of being locked into a contract.

Again I have signed up for sky and their LLU package and am aware that it may not work out, but in my eyes its saving me money and stands a good chance of giving me a far better service than before. Im not exactly rolling in it, but its a risk I am taking for the above reasons.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

moleman is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyhat View Post
      So what is the point of Sky providing a MAc - I know they do as a friend left them for Cable. What BB down time implications are then then of cease and reprovide
      As I understand it (and I could be wrong) BT have to do the actual disconnection and reconnection and the MAC gives them the authoristion from the current ISP to "break" the service.