Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband speed varies widely

This is a discussion on Broadband speed varies widely within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been on Sky Broadband for only a few months after moving from NTL. I have a hard wired ...

blotspens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161720
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Broadband speed varies widely

I have been on Sky Broadband for only a few months after moving from NTL.
      I have a hard wired connection and also use a wireless laptop. My router is left on all the time. When I first boot up the speed can be about 500k download. If I turn off the router and reconnect the speed returns to its norm of about 10,000. Is this a problem of a cumulative colllection of noise/interference etc. All the wiring is as recommended, ie twin twisted pair and ADSLNation sockets. Is the best policy to shut down the router when neither computer is in use so that I am making a new connection each session? Sorry if this is very basic stuff but with NTL broadband I never needed to ask these sort of questions.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Broadband speed varies widely

Your router is designed to be left on and connected. If everything is working properly then you shouldn't see the sort of performance differences you report. For it to get better after a reboot points towards a line noise or falling noise margin issue.

Have a look at the first sticky in my signature which will explain a number of issues for you. I recommend you keep your eye on your noise margin and to start with either reboot your router in the middle of the evening then leave it connected or use Mognuts to set a noise margin that will stay above 7db through a full 24h period.

If you still get problems, post your full stats having left the router powered for at least 12h beforehand.

HTH

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Note that the effect where the connection gets slower and slower, and then when you reboot the router it goes back to the original speed again, isn't a physical issue with ADSL, it's caused by a bug in the router software. Reducing sources of noise can help work around this bug, but it sounds like you've already taken care to ensure your wiring is as good as it can be already.

Increasing the target noise margin with the Mognuts utility page can help keep the connection going for longer before needing to reboot the router, but ultimately it's a matter of waiting for Sky to release the router firmware update, which sadly now looks like it's not going to happen before the new year.

blotspens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161720
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the help. Eventually, in frustration, I contacted the Broadband Helpline. Finally I got them to agree that the router was faulty. Since last Saturday I have been using the new Sagem router and have consistently connected at 8-10,000 and never needed to reboot the router.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Doubt there was anything wrong with your old router other than the firmware.

Your new Sagem has a new firmware which is better able to handle line/noise issues. When the new firmware for the old router is released (should be soon) you'd have found it just as reliable as your new one.

Keep your old router and upgrade it to the new firmware when it is available and keep it as a spare.