Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using another router

This is a discussion on Using another router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Is there any way of using another router with sky broard band. My laptop (Toshiba tecra a2) just will not ...

oliver_007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01332
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Using another router

Is there any way of using another router with sky broard band. My laptop (Toshiba tecra a2) just will not not connect wirelessly to the sky router what ever i do. I have phoned sky and they say it is a fault with my computer which it is cleary not as it works fine with my own netgear router and on other wirless networks. Also sky says they will not give me the user name and password to use my own router why is this?

any help much would be great.

ps it connects fine though the ethernet cable

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Using another router

Have you read through THIS tutorial. It contains lots of tips on how to get connected. When you have tried the advice in the tutorial and still cannot connect, post back with the error messages you are receiving.

Sky will not support hardware it does not supply and will invariably blame it for any problems.. If you have a Version 1 (white) router the log in details can be obtained. Details of how to do this are all over the forum. If you have the new type, then I am afraid you are out of luck.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

oliver_007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01332
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for the reply i have read your thread and tried everything on there but it will still not connect wirelessly. Wired is fine i think there are a lot of people having the same problem. If only i could use my own router!!! Do you know of any wireless cards or adaptors i can use.

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

You can use another router, but will first need to extract your user name and password from the Netgear - login and go to Backup Settings and then Save a Copy...open the cfg file in Notepad and you'll find it there. BUT, and it could be a Big One, using another router is against the Sky Terms & Conditons which means a breach of contract and they can cut you off without notice - nobody's had it done to them yet but there's a firmware upgrade in the pipeline, what happens when it fails to connect to your router is anybody's guess. My Netgear died two weeks back and I was able to use an old Speedtouch till the replacement arrived. Incidentally, the original router worked fine wirelessly with my laptop, but wouldn't allow our Wii to connect. Same settings and the new router lets it all in and gives a much stronger signal. So, presumably, some "identical" routers are better than others. And if yours just won't work then maybe the wireless side of it is broken......
      Last edited by greyrider; 15-12-07 at 04:10 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^
      This may work with standard firmware, but I think you need to use Mognuts or Bounce or similar to get the ADSL log in. It will only work with the old router. afaik there is no way yet to get this info from the new router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If it's a current Tosh check that the wireless is switched on -- usually a small switch on the side. There may be issues with Vista driver for the adapter so download latest.

The terms used for encryption standards used in Vista and some laptops seem to have changed -- thus WPA Personal instead of WPA 64 bit (?).

So I would try turning off the wireless security in the router temporarily -- see FAQ on this site or help file on Sky CD on how to access the router's user interface.