Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Major Speed Problems with Sky 8Mb Connection

This is a discussion on Major Speed Problems with Sky 8Mb Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Rivets I have losing my mind over this. Anyone have any suggestions? I used to be ntl ...

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Major Speed Problems with Sky 8Mb Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Rivets View Post
      I have losing my mind over this. Anyone have any suggestions? I used to be ntl on a 2mb connection and it was so much faster. So i know my pc and gear is fine.
      There are 2 things I would try. First is the TCP optimiser Details here.

Although your PC was fine with ntl:, if you were on cable then this is a different type of connection and the optimiser may help.

Second would be to remove the front of your master socket (with care) and remove any wires connected to terminal 3 (usually orange/white if installed by BT). These are ring wire cables which are not needed with ADSL filters and are a common source of interference. Again a cable connection would not be affected by this.

Your stats indicate that you are connecting at 7648 kbps so the ring wire is less likely to be causing the problem.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

i still think you are on connect
      I agree. I think this is a case of Sky not having exchange places and just sticking you on Connect until places become available.

Go HERE put your phone number in the box, then if asked put your router username in the next box. If this works, then you are definitely on Connect.

Note Your router DSL user name will be the MAC number from your router, with no spaces or :s, followed by @skydsl. Something like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@skydsl.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Rivets is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all your advice.

I can tell you that my ISP provider is Easynet. I am unsure what connect is??

This is what i have done
      1. itisme, i used that link and entered my number and got the username request as you stated, i put this is and got an error (I also tried by using my sky.com account login and that failed also)

2. I have downloaded the TCP optimiser as you suggest eyemdee and ran that under your intructions. This has made no difference to the connection speed

3. atronaut, i looked at the router stats but could not find any mention of error rate. not sure what i was looking at there

Having spoke to sky about the socket i have, they intended to call BT and phone me back with results. I get the feeling this old socket could be the issue. I am reluctant to dis-mantle it without being sure what i am doing

Rivs

astronaut is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Neots
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

When you use Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 and select "Get" detailed router stats you will then be promoted for the usual admin/sky username and password. You then use the back button in your browser and select "Download Netgear.cfg file"

Open this file in Wordpad (not Notepad) and about 20 lines down you will see somthing like

Latest 1 day time = 21 hours 13 min 58 sec
      SF = 4496264
      CRC = 35
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 22
      Latest 15 minutes time = 13 min 58 sec
      SF = 49284
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

The SF is the number of frames passed by the router and CRC are the number of frames with checksum errors - these 2 numbers give you an idea of the error rate - when I have my line at 8000k in the evening then I can get CRC on nearly half the frames but as you can see with the sync speed backed off a bit I get almost no errors in 21 hours

There is more on getting stats in a very useful sticky on this site

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I can tell you that my ISP provider is Easynet. I am unsure what connect is??
      connect is a re-branded BT service that sky sell you if they have no capacity. the price will be 5 or 17 (depending on when avalabilty on there Dslams becomes avalible)

the reason i think you are on connect is your upload speed (448) instead of mid and max (416 & 764)

bt is contended/throttled which if you are on connect would explain your download speed
      Last edited by richone54; 16-12-07 at 08:03 PM. Reason: lots of bad spelling

maxping is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post

bt is contended/throttled which if you are on connect would explain your download speed
      If this is the case try a speed test in the early hours of the morning you should notice a increase in speed.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

1. itisme, i used that link and entered my number and got the username request as you stated, i put this is and got an error (I also tried by using my sky.com account login and that failed also)
      If it took you to the screen where you put in your username, I am fairly sure that means you are on Connect. If you were on Sky LLU you would get something like -

TEST ERROR
      Unexpected result received when querying the network to find your services connection details. Please try again shortly, but if this problem persists raise the issue with your service provider.
      It could be that the site is having difficulties, or you have not used the correct username. Try again later, your Sky log in will not work, it must be the Router MAC followed by @skydsl

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Rivets is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, i am still having problems. The broadband I am paying for is 17, so it does sounds like this connect package.
      I spoke to Sky once again and they claimed the problem stems from BT. They promised a call back once BT had looked into the issue. However, this has never happened. But sky called to ask questions regarding my set-up...again! And again i explained everything.
      I shall be making a call tomorrow to demand an engineer is despatched, a demand that my account is credited for 3 monthes of payment and then see what happens.
      I have a feeling i may be back with Virgin Media by 2008.

These issues are only for me broadband, don't get me started on the TV (No signal, no plus box recording working, frozen picture....etc)

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The engineer will only check certain things, if your issue is with the BT socket or line then BT need to look at it. If you ask for an engineer then you may have to wait till after Xmas as there is no guarantee that one will be sent before then due to demand.
      How long have you been on Sky BB? I thought in an earlier post you had only connected in November, if this is the case you won't get 3 months refunded unless you have completed 3 months on the service. You should get a refund though if you have no connection at all, if you have a slow connection you may get a partial refund if the fault lies with Sky. At the start you were blaming your telephone socket, did you ever contact BT to get them to check the line and replace the socket itself?

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

The broadband I am paying for is 17, so it does sounds like this connect package
      you may want to update your profile, it says max at the mo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast