Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New to Sky and line dropping out.

This is a discussion on New to Sky and line dropping out. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello Everyone, I've had Sky BB for three weeks now, I've got the new Netgear router, two Computers, An IBM ...

merefolly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: East Boldon
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

New to Sky and line dropping out.

Hello Everyone,

I've had Sky BB for three weeks now, I've got the new Netgear router, two Computers, An IBM laptop running XP Home SP2 and a Desktop self built running Vista Premium both are up to date with no viruses etc., . They both connect to the router through a wireless connection. The router is plugged into the main phone socket and I have an extension off that to the main bedroom upstairs, I only have wires 2 and 5 connected for that.

I'm on the Sky Mid package, I pay my line rental to Sky and I'm 4.7 killometers away from the exchange.

I moved to Sky from BT because of the deplorable download speeds I was getting with BT, sometimes down to 9KB/S, my download speeds have increased a lot since joining Sky but the line keeps dropping out, at first it was any time but this week it seems to have settled down to only during the evening. I think it is due to the poor noise margins but I don't know what I can do about this ...... if anything.

This is what I've tried so far, not necessarily in the order I tried them
      I have set the DNS settings up in both systems, turned UPNP off in the router, tried plugging the router into the test socket (no diffrence there) with the supplied filter plugged in, first with the phone and Sky plus box plugged in as well and then just the router. I rebooted the router last night umpteen times when the noise levels were at their lowest, not sure if that was the right way, maybe it should have been at the highest (I don't fully understand that bit) I think that is enough to be going on with for now

Below are a few of the stats from last night, I've tried to include whether the router was plugged into the test socket.

Router Statistics before swapping to test socket

System Up Time: 03:18:00Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 2205 2510 0 102 390 01:08:25
      LAN 100M/Full 5419 0 0 40 0 03:17:56
      WLAN 11M/54M 16915 17908 0 829 225 03:17:43
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3648 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52 db 14 db
      Noise Margin 3 db 13 db

Router Statistics after swapping to test socket

System Up Time: 03:39:21Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 108 119 0 168 280 00:02:24
      LAN 100M/Full 6639 0 0 43 0 03:39:17
      WLAN 11M/54M 20267 21454 0 807 233 03:39:04
      Connection Speed 3360 kbps 416 kbps
      Noise Margin 4 db 14 db

Router Statistics still plugged into test socket

System Up Time: 02:48:40Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 155 147 0 49 95 00:03:45
      LAN 100M/Full 8039 0 0 64 0 02:48:36
      WLAN 11M/54M 14761 16252 0 769 162 02:48:23
      Connection Speed 3456 kbps 416 kbps
      Noise Margin 2147483647 db 13 db

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 00:09:32 14/12/07 on test socket

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 290 291 0 89 301 00:07:23
      LAN 100M/Full 20 0 0 4 0 00:09:28
      WLAN 11M/54M 880 784 0 848 170 00:09:16
      Connection Speed 3616 kbps 416 kbps
      Noise Margin 2147483647 db 14 db

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 11:53:21 with phone and Sky plus box out on test socket

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 14330 22946 0 114 2473 03:18:46
      LAN 100M/Full 5379 0 0 10 0 11:53:17
      WLAN 11M/54M 44845 36758 0 915 84 11:53:05
      Connection Speed 3552 kbps 416 kbps
      Noise Margin 8 db 13 db

Am I stuck with the line dropping out, it happens three or four times in the evening and is usually back up within a couple of minutes.
      Any help or opinions on this will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry forgot to say I've also tried with Ethernet and the figures are still the same.

Jo

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: New to Sky and line dropping out.

You've got a line issue and as you have said your SNR is too low for it to be stable for very long.
      The SNR is still very low (higher numbers are better conditions for this) on the test socket, do you hear any noise on your telephone line at all during calls?
      If you are a BT line rental customer then I would suggest calling them and telling them you are suffering intermittant line noise (don't mention ADSL) and ask for your line to be checked or an engineer sent out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      You've got a line issue and as you have said your SNR is too low for it to be stable for very long.
      The SNR is still very low (higher numbers are better conditions for this) on the test socket, do you hear any noise on your telephone line at all during calls?
      If you are a BT line rental customer then I would suggest calling them and telling them you are suffering intermittant line noise (don't mention ADSL) and ask for your line to be checked or an engineer sent out.
      Hello,

I don't hear any noise on the telephone line either in the test socket or the normal socket, I have two digital cordless phones plugged in and neither have any noise on the line, I had to buy a cheap corded phone the other day due to a power cut and that didn't have any line noise on it either.

I pay my line rental to Sky, as I understand it they are only legally bound to repair a line with actual audible noise on the line and not noise on a BB line, I'm not sure if I'm right.
      I'm a bit wary about ringing Sky, they might drop my line speed and to be honest I'd rather put up with the line dropping out than the speeds lowered.

Thank you for your reply.

Jo

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You are quite a long way from the exchange. Does any part of your phone line travel overhead on telegraph poles or does it come out of the ground? The fact that the line is dropping out in the evenings suggests that it's picking up medium-wave radio interference and overhead lines are more susceptible to that.

The way that ADSL works is that when it synchronises with the exchange equipment, it gives itself a 7dB noise margin. This is supposed to give it "headroom" to cope with changing line characteristics. However, if the change in line characteristics is greater than 7dB, it's supposed to resync. Ideally, this should only result in a few seconds of downtime, but the way Sky have things configured is that when the router resyncs, it tries to establish a completely new point-to-point connection which seems to result in about a minute or so's downtime.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      You are quite a long way from the exchange. Does any part of your phone line travel overhead on telegraph poles or does it come out of the ground? The fact that the line is dropping out in the evenings suggests that it's picking up medium-wave radio interference and overhead lines are more susceptible to that.

The way that ADSL works is that when it synchronises with the exchange equipment, it gives itself a 7dB noise margin. This is supposed to give it "headroom" to cope with changing line characteristics. However, if the change in line characteristics is greater than 7dB, it's supposed to resync. Ideally, this should only result in a few seconds of downtime, but the way Sky have things configured is that when the router resyncs, it tries to establish a completely new point-to-point connection which seems to result in about a minute or so's downtime.
      Hello James

The line comes underground to the telegraph pole and come accross to the house from there, I'd say 20/30 yards. From there it goes along the side of the house in line with the Sky plus box cabling, would the Sky cable cause any interferance ?
      Is there anything I can do about the radio interferance ?

This sounds like exactly what is happening, I don't fully understand all these figures although I do understand what you are saying is there anything I can do about the noise apart from rebooting the router, which I've already tried.

Thank you.

Jo

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well, there's nothing you can do about that overhead cable, but if you have telephone extensions, then you can try to improve your telephone wiring inside the house. Telephone extension leads that plug into phone sockets (such as are very commonly used for people's Sky TV boxes) can be very problematic.

There's lots of advice about this in the Cabling and faceplate help section.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James67 View Post
      Well, there's nothing you can do about that overhead cable, but if you have telephone extensions, then you can try to improve your telephone wiring inside the house. Telephone extension leads that plug into phone sockets (such as are very commonly used for people's Sky TV boxes) can be very problematic.

There's lots of advice about this in the Cabling and faceplate help section.
      Hello again James and thank you for your reply.
      It looks like I'm stuck with the line dropping, never mind it could be worse, I could have had the download speeds I had with BT and that was even worse.

I've tried using the BB plugged into the test socket and there was no difference so I assume the extension is ok. I forgot to say in my first post that I have ordered one of the face plates from ADSL Nation, I'll see if that makes any difference.

Jo