Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Trouble with disconnects and long periods 'Acquiring network address'

This is a discussion on Trouble with disconnects and long periods 'Acquiring network address' within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I set up my Sky BB today and I'm having a few problems. I have 3 computers connected up, a ...

hyder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Trouble with disconnects and long periods 'Acquiring network address'

I set up my Sky BB today and I'm having a few problems.

I have 3 computers connected up, a laptop with built in wi-fi and all that and a couple of PC's connected wirelessly using a couple of dongles I bought.

With one of the PC's the problem is just that it disconnects every so often (its only been in use 3-4hrs and its disconnected 7 times). In this case all you have to do is re enter the WPA key and then its back on.

The other PC is having a similar problem but much worse. It disconnects and then has trouble 'Acquiring network address'. It does this for a few seconds then loses its connection and tries again. It maybe does this for 5-10 minutes before finnaly regaining a wireless connection. However this may only last as little as a few seconds, although it has lasted maybe up to 20 minutes. This has been going on all day since I started using the donge in the morning.

The laptop works fine.

There is a lot of stuff I have done already as I have searched around for solutions on the net.

Checked DCHP settings (enabled in router and both PC's set to automatically get IP's and DNS and such)

I tried changing the security key (WPA) although I havn't disabled and tried it yet.

I even disabled that windows wireless zero config because I saw somewhere that it didn't like netgear routers.

And finally, I am connecting through the software supplied with the dongles not with windows help.

Thanks alot for your help..

Sorry for the wall of text

Hyder

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Trouble with disconnects and long periods 'Acquiring network address'

You may be getting interference from a near neighbour. Try changing the channels. Start at 1 and work your way through till you find the most stable.

You may also like to download and use NetStumbler which will allow you to find out other users in your area and the best place to position your PCs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

At one point yesterday all the computers stopped connecting so I reset the router.

Now 1 PC and the laptop both connect fine and have no problems at all, whereas mine (the bad one) is no longer ever connecting for a couple of minutes . It is just constantly 'acquiring network address' and never getting anywhere.

This morning I have gone through all the router settings trying every channel to see if any work but nothing is affected.

Also just tried swapping the dongles from this PC (working) to my PC. Neither are wokring in mine but both work in this.

I don;t think its not getting a good signal, because as its acquiring it gets maybe 60% signal strength which shoudl be ok shouldnt it?
      Last edited by hyder; 13-12-07 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks

Did you try Netstumbler? This will show you where the signal is best. Very often moving your PC a couple of feet can make all the difference. Have you tried connecting the laptop from the same position as your PC? If it fails to connect this will tell you that it is not receiving a high enough quality of signal. Signal strength on it's own means little, it is the quality of the signal that is important.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not really sure what I'm looking for with NetStumbler, but the signal/noise graph is at like -60dB.

Will try the laptop now

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well instead of trying the laptop, I just moved the PC which wasn't working to beside the one that was working.

Lo and behold, I'm online on my own PC.

Maybe I should remove all the giant magnets and transformers from my room.

But seriously then, is there a way to get better reception in my room? Do PCI cards get better reception?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

first thing id suggest is to turn off UPnP if you havent already - i've found this cure a lot of the problems ur experiencing....go into the router (http://192.168.0.1) and look for the advanced section and turn it off from there and see if that helps
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

^^^^^^^^^^
      I thought this bug had been overcome in the new routers?

What many don't seem to realize is that you can use an USB extension with a dongle to position it in a better place for reception. It does not have to be stuck in the back of the PC. I have used one up to 5 M long with success, where very thick walls were blocking reception. If you are really keen, you may want to try building one of THESE

TomD

Useful Utilites

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

^ can't hurt to try...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket