Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Intermittent pauses in connection every 3-4 mins

This is a discussion on Intermittent pauses in connection every 3-4 mins within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have had Sky BB now around a month. My speed has settled down now to 7mb download when i ...

woodzter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stourbridge
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Intermittent pauses in connection every 3-4 mins

I have had Sky BB now around a month. My speed has settled down now to 7mb download when i do a speed test so i am happy with this. Problem i have is when i am surfing the web. I can surf to what seems like four to five minutes with no problem then it just seems to freeze. I can tell this with a pattern of the lights on the V2 router which are all on solid. After around 10-15 seconds the router lights start to flash and the Internet works again. This is starting to pii$$ me off. I get this is i am wired direct to the router and also wireless's, but it seems worse when its wired.

God knows what will happen when i connect my Xbox up at xmas.

I have turned off UPN{ off in the router as suggested on some other forum posts and its still no good.

Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent pauses in connection every 3-4 mins

Post your detailed stats,
      Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How to get your router statistics
      and also post them again when the connection drops. Will help us see what is happening.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

He has a V2 router so will not be able to get detailed stats.

Try downloading and running TCP Optimiser if you are not running Vista. It may not help but it will do no harm.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Something interesting i found with my connection today. I noticed that when was downloading various pod casts my connection never froze once. For a good 30 minutes of downloading it was fine. As soon as the downloads finished it started freezing again.

Its almost like that when the traffic is constant it works fine but when there is pauses, such as reading web pages this is when the problem is.

Anyone have idea what could be causing htis?

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hmmm, it's hard to see how that could be responsible for the router freezing or continuing to work. It sounds like that there's some kind of intermittent fault with the router.

When you said in your first post that all the lights come on solid when the connection freezes, did you mean even the lights which usually aren't on? If that's the case, then it's definitely a faulty router.

madcat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i would agree with previous poster if all lights are coming on its a faulty router and you should get a replacement, just to rule out the wiring in your house (microfilters can do wonderful things), are all items plugged into your phone line such as your sky box, phones, faxes and your router all behind a microfilter, and is the sky router connected to the master socket in the house?

If not then try connecting just the sky router to the master socket, disconnect everything else in the house from the phone line and then see if you get the same issue, if not then slowly add each item one by one til the problem returns then change the faulty microfilter.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As soon as the downloads finished it started freezing again.
      I seem to remember this being reported some months ago. In addition when the phone was in use the connection never dropped. The cause was eventually traced to a bad joint/wire in the street cabinet. When this was replaced there were no further problems. It may not be the cause in your case, but it may be worthwhile asking BT to check your line as you are hearing intermittent noises. Don't mention Broadband.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry to carry this on but i am still having the same problems. Update: I have been using the Internet over xmas more than i normally would..... for browsing its still a nightmare, working fine for a 2-3 minutes then it locks. No matter what browser i use, tried wireless connection laptop or hard wired direct to router, tried changing DNS in XP to OPENDns, and it still does it. I have checked the wiring on the master socket (which the router is plugged into) and it is fine. My download speeds are what they should be.....! But more interesting is that it locks up exactly the same when i administer my router. So if i go to http://192.168.0.1 ans use the GUI for a couple of minutes it then locks out. So its not just Internet traffic its wan traffic via http as well.

But.....it downloads from iTunes without and locking, it also downloads from Xbox Market place without any locking and i can play for hours on Xbox Live with put any locking (even though i have a high ping)

It seems just to be http.........which i find bizarre.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The time it took for me to post this ( and i type fast) the thing had locked again when i tried tosubmit reply