Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving to Sky

This is a discussion on Moving to Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Evening all. First post so please be gentle particularly if I'm posting in the wrong place! My contract with Fast4 ...

BillBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kenilworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Moving to Sky

Evening all. First post so please be gentle particularly if I'm posting in the wrong place!

My contract with Fast4 ends on December 13th and I am moving to Sky Broadband straight after Christmas. I have never used a Router only a USB modem. I have read on various posts that the CD that comes with the Router is not required (I don't want McAfee) and it is just a case of plugging in the Router and ethernet cable (I don't want wireless either) to connect.

Does this mean that I will not even have to go into my Network Connections and set up Sky in there?

Any assistance to a greenhorn will be gratefully received.

2. Advertisement
      HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Moving to Sky

Certainly from where im sat all you would need to do is plug and go out and play

Although if your use of programs needed it you would need to setup port forwarding (eg utorrent etc)
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You may also have to uninstall your USB modem or you may get unwanted connection boxes popping up. Also remove it from your Internet Connections>Connections tab if it is shown there and make sure, if you have a dial-up modem that it is set to Never dial a connection. Just plug in to your ethernet port, wait a couple of minutes, click the Internet icon and you should be on line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

BillBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kenilworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks for the assistance, much appreciated.