Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

At a loss

This is a discussion on At a loss within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been with Sky for nearly a year (28th December) and not had many problems. High Pings 80 - 200ms ...

slaphead is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bathgate
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry At a loss

I've been with Sky for nearly a year (28th December) and not had many problems.

High Pings 80 - 200ms rather than 30 - 40ms

Poor email service that got so bad that I purchased 2 mailboxes from my hosting provider because of mails not getting sent etc etc

My family play a lot of online games and I had made my mind up we were leaving after 12 months no matter what, although other than the two issues above I have no complaints.

However, last week I noticed a big jump up in latency with World of Warcraft showing 300+ms and it hasn't come back down.

I have reebooted the router and it makes no difference.

Has Sky done something to their network or is the effect of all the advertising that they cannot provide adequate backhaul to cope with all their customers.

I used to be with PlusNet who once had a similar issue.

I just thought I would post this to see if anyone else has had this issue. It isn't of much consequence as I have already placed my O2 order (Pay monthly mobile customer already) for a 16mb service that will cost me 10 a month.

Here are my current router stats.....

System Up Time 09:42:37
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 158480 134801 0 2769 1332 09:41:07
      LAN 10M/100M 144680 157921 0 1429 2850 09:42:35
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7616 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0 db 22.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.9 db 14.0 db

and speedtest results from SkyUser....

Your download speed is 1688Kbps. That is 2828Kbps below the average for Sky
      Your upload speed is 227Kbps. That is 193Kbps below the average for Sky

This site has been most useful but just highlights how poor Sky's attitude to their customers really is because any decent company would have a service status section and user forums of their own.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: At a loss

World of Warcraft has had major issues since it launched 3 years ago, Vivendi made an awful descion of hosting the servers in France and using Telia as their ISP who are frankly terrible.

Some Virgin/NTL customers have been unable to play at all for 3 years, Blizzard/Vivendi/Telia have always blamed every other ISP in Eurpoe for any ping/latency issues, yet the official forums are full of people complaing about this, posting traceroutes that lay the problems right at telias door.

Once the whole country of Greece couldn't connect and after 6 weeks blizzard admitted that the problem was with telia, and earlier this year Telia admitted that the Telia/Virgin connection was not up to the job, but still both sides blames the other and there is no resolution in sight for making an upgrade.

For me Sky was the best ISP to play WoW on. NTL was awful and the BT/Telia link was very prone for random drop outs and sudden bursts of killer lag of 10,000ms+ for a few weeks at a time.

You say that when on plusnet you also suffered a similar problem, that was most likely one of WoW's common network problems, August 2006 saw the entire EU servers lag out for a whole month as once of the Telia servers broke and the engineers didn't tell anybody for 6 weeks.

Sorry to see you are off to O2, I have no idea if their backbone link to telia will be any better but I gave up on WoW in the end finally due to the arrogance of Blizzard and vivendi and refused to pay for such shoddy service.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Your download speed is very low for your sync. Your sync is very low for your attenuation (you should be at the full 8096 for Mid, plus have a high noise margin).

The low sync/low noise margin points to a very noisy line. A very noisy line would contribute to slow download speed and to high pings.

Good luck with O2 but if your line is indeed poor quality then I would expect you to have similar problems.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Although you have been a member for a year you do not seem to have asked for much advice on how to improve your connection. Unless your external line is really bad you could have improved your connection considerably by following the advice given in the forum. My attenuation is a fair bit higher than yours yet my sync and download are much better. Although the SNR is low it seldom drops any lower and is much higher early in the day. What I am trying to say is a litttle bit of work could have improved your connection by a great deal. I too was with Plusnet and saw an improvement of 1.5Mbps on moving to Sky.

As far as the Email is concerned, after the Junk mail glitch was fixed, it has been 1st class.

ADSL Link Downstream Speed 8096 kbps
      Upstream Connection 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0 db 22.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 13.0 db

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

slaphead is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bathgate
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies, but maybe I didn't make things clear.

My connection has been A1 for 11 months, but last week it started playing up. By that I mean very high latency and not just with WoW.

It just seems as though all of a sudden something has gone very badly wrong. I have not changed any phones, sockets or otherwise.

As to the email.....PlusNet was bad for a spell but the Sky service has been consistently woefull. I use Mailwasher Pro to query a number of different accounts and delete the junk before I download. When Sky started puting legit mail into a spam folder that could only be accessed via webmail it was a step too far. Then on top of that I discovered important emails I sent were not being relayed with no error messages coming back to say that they had not sent.

Overall I have been fairly happy with Sky, but with two youngsters and myself heavily into online activity the general latency that I have experienced since day one is not acceptable.

I have tried many of the forum suggestions, but to no avail.

Hence I am off to try a new provider.