Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Expected line speed???

This is a discussion on Expected line speed??? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I have just signed up to the Max plan and was told whilst ont he phone that the ...

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Expected line speed???

Hi all,

I have just signed up to the Max plan and was told whilst ont he phone that the expected line speed would be 3.5Mb??

From my understanding of the whole ADSL technology I was under the impression that this was my MaxADSL speed and when moving onto ADSL2+ this could improve.

I have checked a couple of checkers online and they all come to the same conclusion that the line speed once on ADSL2+ should be around 6 - 8Mb

I am wondering if sky use a BT checker as standard just to cover their own backsides or whether I had false hopes and expectations?

Regards,

Tom.

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Expected line speed???

Sky only put their Max customers on ADSL2+ if they would get a speed greater than 8MBit/sec by doing so. You almost certainly will not be put on ADSL2+. For a line that is currently getting 3.5Mbit/sec on G.DMT, there's probably very little usable, reliable bandwidth available on your line in the range of frequencies that ADSL2+ makes use of in addition to those frequencies used by G.DMT.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

So what would the deal be? Would I still be on LLU? And going on 2 checkers I have checked, I would see greater speeds on ADSL2+ than normal ADSL. Obviously from an end users point of view, I want to go with the greater speed.
      If I am being denied ADSL2+ because I cant get over 8Mb and as such it hinders the overall speed I would see then to be honest the service has lost a lot of its appeal to me...

Also I am assuming that I will be on LLU as otherwise they would not be able to honor the advertised 734 kbps upstream rate on the product.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

what is your current line stats?

theres a site (cant rember but someone will) where you put your existing attenuation into it and it will give you a rough idear of the adsl2+ rate you MIGHT receve.

if this figure comes back at more then say 32db (the cut off may be 34db) then adsl2+ as others have said will be of no use to you, as your line simply wont be able to take advantage of the adsl2+ connection.

remember your line length (attenuation) is one of the single most important factors regarding what speed you are going to get.

i get near on the full 16mb, but thats because im close to the exchange with a low line length, my low attenuation of 23db confirms this. if i was to move 1 mile away then my speed would also drop. (aslong as i was moving further away from the exchange of course)
      Last edited by lee2007; 08-12-07 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I have just been on the phone to sky and been told something worrying. Either support do not know what they are doing or saying or they use some very untoward methods.

I have in short just been told that when they did the line test and it returned up to 3.5Mb that they automatically created a report which will not allow my line to obtain more than this speed.

I asked them that if I connected, and got good stats etc which showed that I am capable of getting more, and then called them would they then allow me to get this higher speed I was told in no other way than No Sir.

So I have been already limited to 3.5Mb although they do not know what my line is capable of, and I know my line is capable of getting more than 3.5Mb on normal ADSL let alone ADSL2+.

My stats are as follows at present;

DSL Status
      Connection Status Connected
      Upstream Rate (Kbps) 832
      Downstream Rate (Kbps) 4736
      US Margin 13
      DS Margin 10
      Modulation GDMT
      LOS Errors 0
      DS Line Attenuation 45
      US Line Attenuation 56
      Path Mode Fast Path

As we can all see I am connected at above 3.5Mb and until today whilst it was raining heavily I was getting a sync of 5056.

I think I shall shortly be calling up sky to cancel my order as this is far from acceptable.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

"Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I have also checked the stats on Andrews site and this is what is shown.

I know the service is sold as up to, but this is taking it a little far. Being penalised for not living close enough although you would still benefit from it.
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

Exchange:
      Thanks

on the site i checked it states "Based on the attenuation you entered, we estimate that your line can support around 4 - 8 Mbps on ADSL2+" and thats at near perfect line conditions.

sky will not give you a adsl2+ connection at this level, there would be far too many errors, thats why they will cap you at a suitable level for your line.

Thats just how it is mate, you would be taking up a adsl2+ slot at the exchange, which to be honest would be a waste of that connection as its not serving you any better and your not benifiting from it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

of course until you connect to sky then sky cant really help either, there no way of telling what your going to get with sky untill your up and running.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Ok I have finally managed to speak to someone whom I can understand and who has a properly working headset. He confirmed with me that the tests they have done, which said I can only get 3.5Mb, are used to limit the speed on your line.

The gent, named Paul, also said that the fact im getting above this speed at the moment is something of a wonder and I should cherrish it And I thought they wanted to gain customers and not turn them away lol.

As a result I will be cancelling my order and requesting a refund of the installation fee and instead put that money to better use.

Cheers guys for those who offerd their advice, but im not a person that enjoys being fobbed off or taken for a ride.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

Exchange:
      Thanks

sorry to see your not going with sky, you must be aware though that no matter what isp you go with (excluding cable) then your always going to get a similar set of statts and speeds.

is the money you would save by moving to sky still not worth the move??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast