Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Expected line speed???

This is a discussion on Expected line speed??? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by lee2007 lol its a bit of a stand off aint it, are you a heavy downloader with ...

HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Expected line speed???

Quote Originally Posted by lee2007 View Post
      lol its a bit of a stand off aint it, are you a heavy downloader with a need for speed? and if you are i bet you dont use your connection 24 hours a day. have a nights sleep on the matter, you seem to be concerned about money at the moment - coming to sky saves you money, not just pennys but a fair few quid.

If i was you id still be going to sky and thats the truth like the last poster said hes getting 12 meg, but thats on his attenuation, those other sites estimate what your adsl2+ will be, the true figure can only be found when your connected to a adsl2+ line.

i hope you get yourself sorted out, dont write sky off so soon especialy with the savings to be had. sky are far from perfect, but your just guessing until you get connect to there systems - good luck
      I do concern myself with money,t hat much is true. I cant say im a heavy downloader...Infact I cannot remember the last time I topped 40Gig. And truth be told on most occassions I rarely see 10Gig in a month. But when I do download something im one of these that wants it and quick. I also use VNC and RDC over the net and so need the speed to handle the file transfers that way.

But mostly its for speed of loading my site and editing the files etc (although http will only go so fast I know). Which reminds me I need to crack on with it and get it sorted some day soon, as well as completing these remaining 27 assignments by the end of term :S
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

2. Advertisement
      lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

have a look in the other sections for write ups on the newly released routers.

im using the "old" one, standard firmware, my router would disconnect about 2 or 3 times a day, this was down to my internal wireing, once this wire had been chopped off my noise marging rose and since then (months ago) i have never once had to reset the router.

its back to line statts again lol, if the router is not faulty and if your stats are good then theres no reason why any of the new routers would suffer from any problems like drop outs etc, wireless of course can be a different matter but thats because off all the other factors, to behonest theres not many complaints about the new router if there was youd see about it on this site.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Indeed that is a fair enough point. But thent he new routers havent long since been released and perhaps have not gone out to enough people who know about this site in order to voice their concerns?

As for internal wiring, I did suffer from this a while ago but have since moved the router downstairs and installed a new face plate with an inbuilt RJ11 socket so no need for a seperate filter.

I think that a lot of the loss of quality of the line is down to the age of the line itself as I could swear it is over 20 years old. I am also almost certain that next doors has a speed of around 6Mb on the standard BT IPStream Max, so perhaps slipping a BT Engineer 20 for a few drinks in order to have a new line put in may well be a worthwhile investment.
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

"Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Extract from T & Cs
      YOUR RIGHTS TO CANCEL SKY BROADBAND
      1. You can cancel Sky Broadband within 8 working days of the later of delivery of your Wireless Router for Self Install, or your Home Installation (as applicable), and your Activation Date. Any cancellation must be in accordance with this notice.
      So you have 8 days to cancel the contract if you are dissatisfied.

I would say that almost all users who have remarked on it, received a higher speed than they were told by phone. I think Sky operate on the safe side and will not quote figures which may not be attained. You should be aware though, that if your bandwidth does not exceed 40GB* a month, you will be paying an extra 5 for the faster upload speed.

*I don't think there is any record of anyone being penalised for exceeding this. At least, not to date.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

YOUR RIGHTS TO CANCEL SKY BROADBAND
      1. You can cancel Sky Broadband within 8 working days of the later of delivery of your Wireless Router for Self Install, or your Home Installation (as applicable), and your Activation Date. Any cancellation must be in accordance with this notice.
      That to me reads as though I have 8 days from the delivery of the router OR from the installation of the broadband, which ever comes latest.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme
      I would say that almost all users who have remarked on it, received a higher speed than they were told by phone. I think Sky operate on the safe side and will not quote figures which may not be attained. You should be aware though, that if your bandwidth does not exceed 40GB* a month, you will be paying an extra 5 for the faster upload speed.
      One of the reasons I am paying the extra 5 is purely for the upstream rate. The other reasons are mixed and matched but one being that I am in hope I will see a good improvement on the line with the change of technology (aka ADSL2+) although it has already been said Sky would be unlikely to put me on this due to not exceeding 8mb.

And lastly it is for the no set data transfer. Although I do not use much most of the time, there are days where I decide to go all out and download NASA or perhaps some other huge list of things :lol:
      Regards,

Tom (HSNetwork)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123