Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Results 11 to 20 of 25

    Expected line speed???

    This is a discussion on Expected line speed??? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by lee2007 on the site i checked it states "Based on the attenuation you entered, we estimate that ...

    1. #11
      HSNetwork's Avatar
      HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Nottinghamshire
      Posts
      506
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
      Blog Entries
      6

      Re: Expected line speed???

      Quote Originally Posted by lee2007 View Post
      on the site i checked it states "Based on the attenuation you entered, we estimate that your line can support around 4 - 8 Mbps on ADSL2+" and thats at near perfect line conditions.

      sky will not give you a adsl2+ connection at this level, there would be far too many errors, thats why they will cap you at a suitable level for your line.

      Well ok, I conceive that this is fair measure. But to be told that they do a test before you even have your line activated and before they know the condition of the line and then say thats it, nothing better, issomewhat discouraging, especially when you have a BRAS profile of 4Mb already and have a router Sync of above 4.5Mb.

      Profile wise I have lost .5Mb somewhere and going by what Paul said, there is no option for attempting a higher speed. Its a case of take it pay for it and like it, or pay for it and bugger off.

      On a further point though, you mentioned taking up a slot on the exchange, surely this all depends on the number of residents living within the area and connected to the exchange, the number of residents using Sky as their provider also. Then off course interleaving also which lowers the sync slightly but raises the SNR to give you a far more stable rate.

      Personally I have never had a problem with the term of "Up To", not even when taking part in an ISP usergroup andbeing the moderator of their forum as customers were always given what their line is capable of and subject to increase or being lowered depending on a 3 day average. But going by what has been said to me tonight on the phone Sky use non of these and give you what they think you can get and thats the be all and end all of it. This I find takes the term Up To to a whole new level and does short change the customer somewhat.
      Regards,

      Tom (HSNetwork)

      A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.


      How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)


    2. Advertisement
    3. #12
      HSNetwork's Avatar
      HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Nottinghamshire
      Posts
      506
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
      Blog Entries
      6

      Re: Expected line speed???

      Quote Originally Posted by lee2007 View Post
      sorry to see your not going with sky, you must be aware though that no matter what isp you go with (excluding cable) then your always going to get a similar set of statts and speeds.

      is the money you would save by moving to sky still not worth the move??
      Believe it or not I am a right stingy git and would like to save every penny I can. But I am also a sucker for quality and would not want to save a few 's at the loss of quality. Especially when there is a 12 month contract involved where as at present I have monthly. I can move when and as I want.

      Another issue I found tonight was, I could not get anyone on the phone. Every single number I tried for sky and I was told the same thing, Thanks for calling but unfortunately we cannot answer your call. Please try again later. No menu no options.

      Another thing that I am wondering about, just having thought about it, if they claim my line can only manage 3.5Mb despite evidence to the contrary, what on earth are they planning as my upstream rate? 448? despite clearly being able to handle 832.

      PS I'm not moaning or at least meaning to. Just I have had a stressful day and this really didnt help too much
      Regards,

      Tom (HSNetwork)

      A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.


      How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

    4. #13
      eyemdee's Avatar
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Posts
      716
      Thanks
      4
      Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

      Re: Expected line speed???

      Quote Originally Posted by HSNetwork View Post
      Another thing that I am wondering about, just having thought about it, if they claim my line can only manage 3.5Mb despite evidence to the contrary, what on earth are they planning as my upstream rate? 448? despite clearly being able to handle 832.
      Standard MAX upstream rate is 768kbps which you should get if your line supports it.

    5. #14
      lee2007's Avatar
      lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      northumberland
      Posts
      189
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Expected line speed???

      Quote Originally Posted by HSNetwork View Post
      Well ok, I conceive that this is fair measure. But to be told that they do a test before you even have your line activated and before they know the condition of the line and then say thats it, nothing better, issomewhat discouraging, especially when you have a BRAS profile of 4Mb already and have a router Sync of above 4.5Mb.

      Profile wise I have lost .5Mb somewhere and going by what Paul said, there is no option for attempting a higher speed. Its a case of take it pay for it and like it, or pay for it and bugger off.

      On a further point though, you mentioned taking up a slot on the exchange, surely this all depends on the number of residents living within the area and connected to the exchange, the number of residents using Sky as their provider also. Then off course interleaving also which lowers the sync slightly but raises the SNR to give you a far more stable rate.

      Personally I have never had a problem with the term of "Up To", not even when taking part in an ISP usergroup andbeing the moderator of their forum as customers were always given what their line is capable of and subject to increase or being lowered depending on a 3 day average. But going by what has been said to me tonight on the phone Sky use non of these and give you what they think you can get and thats the be all and end all of it. This I find takes the term Up To to a whole new level and does short change the customer somewhat.

      as sky own own equipment in the exchange it would depend on number of users connect to there equipment.

      do sky not offer any cancelation period after its gone live (simply cant remember) for all we know you could get near on 6 to 8meg, if your line can handle it then sky will cap you at that (this may involve some phone calls though) theres a certain teir at sky who are able to ajust the settings remotley, id find out if theres a canelation period then you can make a fair assesment.

      theres nothing wrong with wanting the fastest speed possible, but you should be wanting the fastest speed your line can actually handle, not a fast line thats going to be impossible to use because of all the errors and connection drops.

      sky told me i would only get around 6 meg, after help from this site and a few phone calls to sky i was put onto what i get now - no way your going to get it but you might be surpriesd in the end.

      find out about the cancelation policy, then test drive the system, you may decide its worth it, i know it could be a hassel canceling then having to go else where ie loss of connection while its transfered etc.

    6. #15
      lee2007's Avatar
      lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      northumberland
      Posts
      189
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Expected line speed???

      and yes you may see the full max upload - if your line can hande it

    7. #16
      eyemdee's Avatar
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Posts
      716
      Thanks
      4
      Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

      Re: Expected line speed???

      Quote Originally Posted by lee2007 View Post
      if this figure comes back at more then say 32db (the cut off may be 34db) then adsl2+ as others have said will be of no use to you, as your line simply wont be able to take advantage of the adsl2+ connection.
      I wouldn't condemn the product until you have tried it. My line attenuation is 39db and I have had a stable 12446Mbps connection for weeks now on MAX. For 10 per month I do not think it can be beaten!

    8. #17
      HSNetwork's Avatar
      HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Nottinghamshire
      Posts
      506
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
      Blog Entries
      6

      Re: Expected line speed???

      Standard cooling off periods normally are made up of 15 days, which happen to be the amount of days they require to activate and enable the line lol. I will find out though but am certain it will be about right and this normally runs fromt he day you sign up as apposed to from the day your line is activated. This is another thing ISP's keep up their sleeve, a customre can normally hardly ever test the service before their cooling off period has expired thus stranding them in a contract of sorts.

      As for cancelling and moving away this would cost me more. To move away it would require a full cease and reprovide (if sky do not offer a mac genration and migration facilty) which stands to cost in the region of about 40 - 48 and can take in excess of 2 weeks. Which to be honest is something I cannot afford at the moment or within the next 21 months due to a college I am doing which requires constant internet access for assignments and research.

      Quote Originally Posted by eyemdee
      Standard MAX upstream rate is 768kbps which you should get if your line supports it.
      Common sense would suggest that my line can easyly manage this sort of speed, but again I am uncertain on what sky see as being common sense

      All in all I now am very confused and feel a little annoyed. Obviously I dont want the line to drop connection constantly and dont plan on it doing so, but I also know that 3.5Mb is not my limit, if this makes sense.

      As I say I cannot afford a cease and reprovide so its a case of deciding it is worth it and staying with sky or deciding its going to be detrimental to me and so cancelling the order....

      Decisions, decision....
      Regards,

      Tom (HSNetwork)

      A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.


      How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

    9. #18
      lee2007's Avatar
      lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      northumberland
      Posts
      189
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Expected line speed???

      exactly its all guess work until its up and running

    10. #19
      lee2007's Avatar
      lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      northumberland
      Posts
      189
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Expected line speed???

      Quote Originally Posted by HSNetwork View Post
      Standard cooling off periods normally are made up of 15 days, which happen to be the amount of days they require to activate and enable the line lol. I will find out though but am certain it will be about right and this normally runs fromt he day you sign up as apposed to from the day your line is activated. This is another thing ISP's keep up their sleeve, a customre can normally hardly ever test the service before their cooling off period has expired thus stranding them in a contract of sorts.

      As for cancelling and moving away this would cost me more. To move away it would require a full cease and reprovide (if sky do not offer a mac genration and migration facilty) which stands to cost in the region of about 40 - 48 and can take in excess of 2 weeks. Which to be honest is something I cannot afford at the moment or within the next 21 months due to a college I am doing which requires constant internet access for assignments and research.



      Common sense would suggest that my line can easyly manage this sort of speed, but again I am uncertain on what sky see as being common sense

      All in all I now am very confused and feel a little annoyed. Obviously I dont want the line to drop connection constantly and dont plan on it doing so, but I also know that 3.5Mb is not my limit, if this makes sense.

      As I say I cannot afford a cease and reprovide so its a case of deciding it is worth it and staying with sky or deciding its going to be detrimental to me and so cancelling the order....

      Decisions, decision....

      lol its a bit of a stand off aint it, are you a heavy downloader with a need for speed? and if you are i bet you dont use your connection 24 hours a day. have a nights sleep on the matter, you seem to be concerned about money at the moment - coming to sky saves you money, not just pennys but a fair few quid.

      If i was you id still be going to sky and thats the truth like the last poster said hes getting 12 meg, but thats on his attenuation, those other sites estimate what your adsl2+ will be, the true figure can only be found when your connected to a adsl2+ line.

      i hope you get yourself sorted out, dont write sky off so soon especialy with the savings to be had. sky are far from perfect, but your just guessing until you get connect to there systems - good luck

    11. #20
      HSNetwork's Avatar
      HSNetwork is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLRF
      Broadband ISP: Max going to O2 Pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Nottinghamshire
      Posts
      506
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
      Blog Entries
      6

      Re: Expected line speed???

      Well theres one thing that has come out of all of this.

      When I come to write up a certain section on my site I can give a written account of what people need to think about before commiting to LLU lol.

      One thing I could do is to find a BT engineer and slip him 20 to replace my line from the house to the pole. I know that the cable underground is a bit knackered and that BT bodged it together with aliweld a while back when it broke.
      Im just wondering what the Netgear and Sagem routers are like for stabilty as in the past the 834GT and 834G have both proven to be a little dodgy on my line and kept on dropping out and on each occassion dropping the sync rate where as the D-Link connected and stayed connected through thick and thin.
      Regards,

      Tom (HSNetwork)

      A Word of advice :-
      "Dont ever p*** of your Network/System/Server Admin. Any responsible IT Admin will know more about you than you know about yourself, just ask those that have wronged me.


      How to set up Wireless on your Ipod Touch / IPhone (PDF including pictures)
      How to set up Sky Emails on your Ipod Touch / Iphone (PDF including pictures)

     

     
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION