Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky issues

This is a discussion on Sky issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; First of all, hello everyone, this forum is great I have been watching and reading tips for a while on ...

Lucas14 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: THRG
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky issues

First of all, hello everyone, this forum is great I have been watching and reading tips for a while on here but now I had to get registered as I have an issue with my sky Max broadband.

Right since sunday I have seen my broadband speed drop from the 7880kbps that I was getting to a mere 4512kbps. Nothing has changed from the setup on my side, no extention cable is running between the socket and the router adsl port, I have swapped the existing filters with a brand new one.
      I have found out from the exchange status (from this forum) that sky were running a software upgrade on sunday, and basically I find it very hard to believe that suddenly after this upgrade my problem appears.

After numerous attempts at calling Sky and dozens of synch/resynch etc. A lady I was speaking to last night suggested that I try the line from the tester socket which is under the faceplate so sky and myself last night on the phone were running a test at around 7980kbps and from the test socket this is working fine at that speed and it worked fine, but the phones in the other rooms stopped working...

Could any one assist, this is really annoying me because I was enjoying my fast internet and then suddenly sky upgrades the exchange and I am the one loosing out...

This is what I currently get with the faceplate:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4512 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.0 db 25.0 db
      Noise Margin 8.0 db 13.0 db

Without the faceplate:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7968 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38.0 db 25.0 db
      Noise Margin 10.2 db 14.0 db
      Last edited by Lucas14; 08-12-07 at 01:19 PM.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky issues

The phones on the extension will not work with the faceplate off as that is where they connect to. Using the test socket is way of isolating the connection so that NOTHING else is attached to the line. If the speed from the test socket is better than the speed on the normal faceplate then the problem is your side of the socket and not skys. Is everything on the telephone circuit on a filter? Where are your phones plugged in and are they on extensions? If so what happens if you put the faceplate back on, connect nothing but the filter and the router (no telephones plugged into the line in any room) and then reboot the router?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Paul,

Thx for your response.

Yes everything in the house is on a filter and we swapped these filters yesterday (as I have heard sometimes these can get faulty).

The setup is currently:

My bedroom: Master socket -> splitter/filter -> sky router / No phone
      Other bedroom: Normal socket -> Splitter / filter -> 1 phone

So yes everything is on a filter.

I did the test yesterday after calling sky, unplugged every phone and put the faceplate back on and reboot the router but still my line was getting 4512 kbps...

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If you are gettng good speed on the test socket but not on the main socket then the issue is internal wiring. I take it that the 2nd socket is a wired extension coming off the main socket wall box, it could be that the extension wiring has developed a fault.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I have tested the router in different other sockets but I am still getting the same speeds.

I am not exactly sure of the internal wiring setup as this is a flat we are renting, I just find it maybe too coincidential that since an exchange update I am getting half speeds.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You could fit an ADSL Nation Faceplate which will isolate your internal wiring from the ADSL connection, right at the source. Plugging into the ADSL faceplate will give you virtually the same speed as the test socket and loose filters can be dispensed with.

In the meantime, you could try disconnecting the wire from Terminal 3 in each of your sockets. This is the ring wire and is not required with modern phones.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.