Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Few Issues.

This is a discussion on A Few Issues. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, just came across this site on a google search and thought i would join and share my problems im ...

SkysTheLimit07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gosforth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

A Few Issues.

Hi, just came across this site on a google search and thought i would join and share my problems im having with my sky broadband connect package.

First of all as ive said i have sky connect and its the up to 8mb one but they told me i couldnt get over 5.5mb on my line at the minute which is fair enough.

My problems are most likely rather common but here goes

1. Any bittorent client i use i get near enough dial up speeds on any of my downloads and is really getting to me, my ports are forwarded and im using the encryption and everything like that but i still cant seem to obtain good speeds on my supposed 5.5mb connection the most ive ever seen was around 250kb/s and that was once for about 5 minutes.

2. About once a day at any random time my router seems to cease to function which requires me to reboot it, once the reboot is completed the router works fine until it dropouts again the day after and so on...

3. While using xbox live it goes so painfully slow that its just a disgrace, its near enough impossible for me to play any games online.

I run speed tests and although i rarely see close to my 5.5mb speed i have never seen less than abour 3mb, and always a stable upload which means surely i should be able to run xbox live without a hitch and also acheive greater download speeds?

When downloading directly from a website there doesnt seem to be a problem, i seem to hit around 300 to 400 kb/s without fail, and buffering movies is ok most of the time aswell.

Should i give sky a call and complain or is there things i could be doing to improve these problems myself?

Any help would be dearly appreciated, and if any other info is needed please feel free to ask. Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: A Few Issues.

Just thought i would add this in from the router statistics.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 58469 83894 0 2487 3847 01:34:13
      LAN 100M/Full 539 0 0 23 0 01:34:44
      WLAN 11M/54M 79110 60566 0 4123 2526 01:34:31

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4832 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31 db 7.5 db
      Noise Margin 15 db 21 db

lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Thanks

your not getting 5.5mb, you are conecting to exchange at 4832 - just under 5meg, your download speed will be a little short of this conection speed ie around 3.5 to 4meg (rough estimate) infact you may be only getting around 3meg as you say your speed tests show.

not sure about that noise margin - someone else will anser that bit.

bit torrent i do not know about as i use bit tornado (light goes green when fully conected and port forwading working)

xbox i know nothing about.

your line stats dont look too bad (if the noise margin is ok)

tcp optimizer may help if your using xp (but i dont think you will get much more then your seeing)

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Sky actually throttle speeds on P2P sharing for customers on their connect service. This is because it is a rebranded Bt product. Did Sky give you any idea how long you will be on connect ? Obviously once your exchange becomes LLU with sky own equipment , things may improve.

Thanks

Funnily enough last night i installed bit tornado and had a stable torrent download speed of around 450k/bs now today ive came on cant get anything over 50kb/s what a difference, i feel there is something more than the fact that the connect service has some sort of traffic shaping for p2p, no offence.

Im not sure when the MAX service is available in my area, what is the best way to find that out other than calling sky?

Thanks for the replies.

Chaos66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSBEX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkysTheLimit07 View Post
      Funnily enough last night i installed bit tornado and had a stable torrent download speed of around 450k/bs now today ive came on cant get anything over 50kb/s what a difference'
      Its down to how many people are seeding the more seed the faster the download....

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Put your exchange in Samknows and it will tell you whether your exchange is enabled and if not, it may tell you when it is scheduled to be done.

Judging from your SNR, it could be that your BRAS profile is set a bit low.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Judging from your SNR, it could be that your BRAS profile is set a bit low.
      The BRAS profile doesn't affect the sync speed, just download speeds. Yeah, I know that sounds crazy, but profiling is something done for BT's benefit, not the end-user's.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

That's true - it doesn't directly affect sync speed but it is close coupled.

BT DSL Max uses a table linking ADSL line rates to BRAS profiles. So for example, the OP's sync rate of 4832kbps should give a BRAS profile of 4000kbps. Were sync to drop to 4543kbps then this would trigger a shift in BRAS profile to 3500kbps. If it rose to 5120kbps then the associated BRAS profile is 4500kbps.

Again, using the OP's figures, a noise margin of 15db, assuming the 10 day stabilisation period has finished, suggests that either the line is still in the 3 day period awaiting an upward BRAS profile change or possibly line noise keeps resetting the 3 day period.

If the line is delivering a satisfactory and consistent "300-400kb/s" on downloads other than P2P/torrents then I'd say that traffic shaping is certainly the issue (a widely known issue for this service). That download speed is about right for the presumed BRAS profile.

The need to reboot during the day supports the likelihood that there's a line problem and also supports the high noise margin.

The xbox live issue is probably unrelated and is possibly a firewall/port issue?

The impact of traffic shaping on Connect can be reduced (not eliminated) by using encrypted traffic. Many clients support this.

lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkysTheLimit07 View Post
      Funnily enough last night i installed bit tornado and had a stable torrent download speed of around 450k/bs now today ive came on cant get anything over 50kb/s what a difference, i feel there is something more than the fact that the connect service has some sort of traffic shaping for p2p, no offence.

Im not sure when the MAX service is available in my area, what is the best way to find that out other than calling sky?

Thanks for the replies.
      if possible can you use a torrent say after midnight? it could be that the traffic shapping only kicks in a peak time (stoping the network grinding to a hault because everyones downloading torrents)

tiscali do this during peak times - torrents run smooth after peak time just smething to try, and im certain thats why your getting slow torrent speeds during peak times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast