Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sky Sagem Router & Nortel VPN Client Problem

This is a discussion on Sky Sagem Router & Nortel VPN Client Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All I'm pulling my hair out with this problem. I just got a new Sagem Sky router today coz ...

Mad Mark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Sagem Router & Nortel VPN Client Problem

Hi All

I'm pulling my hair out with this problem. I just got a new Sagem Sky router today coz my netgear died. Before I recieved this piece of crap I was able to use VPN through my trusty Netgear no problem. Didin't even have to configure the bloody thing.

This Sagem is something else. No matter if I allow ALL TCP/UDP ports, enable uPnP it doesn't work. I contacted the office VPN team and they said they can't even see me attempting a connection on their servers.

All ny Nortel client displays is Remote host not responding.

I'm an IT technical so not without some knowledge of these things but this is impossible. Please help anyone out there in Skyland.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Sagem Router & Nortel VPN Client Problem

so long as you dont call Sky - you should be ok getting advice off here...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

LOL thanks for the advice........I think!

Please anyone?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Please anyone? Even if you're using the new black box with other VPN client I'd like to know.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Sky Sagem Router & VPN Problem

Please guys I'm desperate to hear from anyone using the Sagem with VPN.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Sagem Router & VPN Problem

It would be a bit unusual to encounter an ADSL modem/router which didn't support VPN passthrough, to be honest. Most ADSL chipset manufacturers provide near complete firmware solutions for their products, which the router manufacturers then customise, rather than writing a complete set of software themselves.

I suppose it's possible that VPN passthrough has been taken out deliberately. The Sky Broadband product is intended for home use and although Sky isn't clear about whether that included home office working or not, it might be the case that they've decided that VPN passthough isn't the kind of thing that a domestic user would need.

Did you use the installation CD when you got the new router? If you did, it may have fiddled with your security settings. If you didn't have to configure the Netgear router to get VPN working before that suggests that the VPN system your company uses is "NAT friendly", in which case, you shouldn't have to switch on any port forwarding on your router on the Sagem either. It just comes down to whether the Sagem supports NAT on IP protocols 47, 50 or 51 (note protocols not ports, and basically if it doesn't support that, then there's nothing you can do to make it work.

It's hard to know what to suggest really. Try disabling firewalling on your PC - that would eliminate firewall configuration as an issue.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unusal, yes my thinking exactly. I have no PC firewall. I opened TCP ports 50,51 and UDP 500 for IPSEC but that didn't work. Hell I even tried opening all ports but still nothing.

In the end I called sky and as usual spoke to a twit before speaking to someone with sense. He told me despite my router being on and browsing the net he couldn't see that it ever connected. Apparently they can tell by the MAC address.

After a long call he determined there is something wrong with the router and I'm getting another replacement. He has specified to the dispatchers to send me a netgear - thankfully. Oh btw he said the new black routers can be either a Sagem or Netgear. Not sure if thats true or not, I'll wait and see.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There has been at least one report of the old version 1 router being sent out to replace a faulty V2, so don't be surprised if you get the DG834GT

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

IPSEC doesn't use TCP ports 50 and 51, it uses IP protocols 50 and 51, and that's something very different.

I seem to remember that the Cisco VPN client I used to use with my previous employer had configuration options to support VPN through a router which didn't support VPN passthrough. Does the Nortel VPN client have anything similar?

jd1
      jd1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm also having Nortel VPN problems with the Sky Sagem router. Previously had my own Netgear router and had no VPN problems at all. Haven't tried playing wth the ports yet, but I did eventually manage to get Sky to promise send me a netgear instead within 5 days, although its not shown up yet. Initial call to Sky BB technical team was frustrating, one person said they didn't support Sagem only Netgear and another wanted to know what VPN was!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast