Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Disconnection problems - things to try?

This is a discussion on Disconnection problems - things to try? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Trying to sort out my brother-in-law whos just got Sky Braodband and is plagued with disconnections. They've got a master ...

psychocandy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: rhiwderin
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Disconnection problems - things to try?

Trying to sort out my brother-in-law whos just got Sky Braodband and is plagued with disconnections.

They've got a master socket (with nothing connected) with a hardwired extension to the living room. In the living room socket is the ADSL filter with phone and 10m long RJ11 cable (under the carpet) connected.

Getting frequent disconnects. Connection Speed downstream 2048kbps, Line Attenuation 15.5db, Noise margin 28.9db. I cant remember whether the atteuation and noise margin figures are good or bad?

OK, so I know the following is pretty uncool:-

1. Hardwired extension in master socket.
      2. 10m long RJ11 lead under the carpet.

So, I'm going to get him to buy a wireless card for his desktop and move the router so that its plugged into the master socket (with ADSL filter), leaving the filter on the extension as well.

Ideally, I think he should get rid of that extension and replace the master socket cover with one of the ADSLNation ones and then run phone to living room from that.

Any other suggestions?
      Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Disconnection problems - things to try?

Connection Speed downstream 2048kbps, Line Attenuation 15.5db, Noise margin 28.9db.
      Looking at these, I would say he is on Base, with a maximum download of 2MB. The attenuation of 15.5 could be the router bug, rebooting/power cycling the router should fix it.

As you say, connecting direct to the Master socket would be preferable, but a hardwired extension is not too bad, provided it is good quality cable. One thing that may help is disconnecting the ring wire from terminal 3 in the sockets. This can have a magical effect at times.

The success of a wireless connection depends a lot on the construction of the house. If it is a modern eggbox, then it will be quite good, In an old house with solid walls, it may struggle. Better sticking to wired if possible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Looking at these, I would say he is on Base, with a maximum download of 2MB. The attenuation of 15.5 could be the router bug, rebooting/power cycling the router should fix it.

As you say, connecting direct to the Master socket would be preferable, but a hardwired extension is not too bad, provided it is good quality cable. One thing that may help is disconnecting the ring wire from terminal 3 in the sockets. This can have a magical effect at times.

The success of a wireless connection depends a lot on the construction of the house. If it is a modern eggbox, then it will be quite good, In an old house with solid walls, it may struggle. Better sticking to wired if possible.
      Whats THE router bug? Is this connected to the attenuation of 15.5 ?

Thanks

Yes, a bug in the router firmware causes it to show the attenuation as 15.5 no matter what the correct figure may be.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Yes, a bug in the router firmware causes it to show the attenuation as 15.5 no matter what the correct figure may be.
      Bit of a co-incidence that.....

Is there any way to fix this bug?

Thanks

The attenuation of 15.5 could be the router bug, rebooting/power cycling the router should fix it.
      It may not be the bug, if you do the above a couple of times and it is still there, chances are it is reporting correctly.

TomD

Useful Utilites

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you just reboot the router and it should then show the right att. level (it may actually go lower if the SNR u say is correct)

chances are the 10m RJ11 is the cause of the disconnections - try it direct in the master and see what happens
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket