Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Very Very Large Noise Margin

This is a discussion on Very Very Large Noise Margin within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just been connected to Sky Broadband and been up and running for over a week with the new router. ...

jaguar6100 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01642
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Very Very Large Noise Margin

I've just been connected to Sky Broadband and been up and running for over a week with the new router.

I'm getting regular slow downs and disconnects. The router stats normally show a noise margin of around 6 but when I have problems I notice that the noise margin shows an incredible large figure e.g. 2147483646 db.

Normally internet access at this point stops or slows down requiring a reboot of the router.

I've looked through the forum but couldn't find a similar problem.

Can anyone help ?

2. Advertisement
      jofes2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01209
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Very Very Large Noise Margin

Ditto! I've been connected for a few days and still haven't been able to browse for more than 2 mins b4 it disconnects. I've also noticed my noise margin is the same as yours, or 0.

Jenkinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT t'internet
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is the setup all correct? Master socket, w/o extentions or double adapters, all other sockets in use filtered?

If it is it may just need capping down a bit

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

When the new routers report that extremely odd figure it is a bug in the router reporting. Elsewhere in the forum James67 conjectures that what is happening is that the noise margin has dropped below zero. I suspect that James is absolutely right in his thinking.

The problem(s) you are seeing relate to the poor quality of your line i.e. the noise margin is gradually falling to a point where the router can't cope or hold a connection or even that there has been a sudden burst of noise/interference which also has removed the router's ability to cope.

The root cause is your phone wiring, either in the home or the BT wiring (the former is more likely). Please see the cabling and faceplate help forum for info on diagnosing and fixing line issues.

On a side note: whilst improvements to the Sky router firmware and the enablement of SRA would allow your routers to hold the connection, that wouldn't be a cure. Nor would capping the connection. Better to fix the cause not just treat the symptoms i.e. ensure your line is in as good a condition as possible otherwise you will have to put up with a much slower connection than you need to.
      Last edited by Saturday; 06-12-07 at 11:44 AM.

jaguar6100 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01642
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info / advice. Yes the noise margin does drop to 1 / 0 at times and then to the very large number I reported above.

Had my suspicisions it might be the wiring as I'm running it off and extension off the master socket in my 2nd floor office, just never had any problems with BT broadband although it was running slower, in fact Sky is reporting nearly twice the speed of BT.

I'll switch the router to run directly off the main telephone socket and if that cures the problem I'll run ethernet to my upstairs PC.