Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just connected and i'm pulling my hair out!

This is a discussion on Just connected and i'm pulling my hair out! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well I just got connected yesterday, it was supposed to be the 26th but the was a 'server issue' and ...

jofes2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01209
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just connected and i'm pulling my hair out!

Well I just got connected yesterday, it was supposed to be the 26th but the was a 'server issue' and only got the internet light on the router yesterday. It's the brand new black router.

Last night I sat for hours trying to get the internet working and I get several different problems:

I look at the router status via the IP and it says its connected fine but no websites work at all.
      Router status says it's fine and only some websites work.
      Very rarely will it connect and I can visit any website.
      With all of the above problems the connection still drops every minute or so and has to reconnect, each time resulting in getting one of the above problems.

I've been on the phone several times with tech support who have told me to change the wireless channel from 11 to 10, then got me to clear my temp internet files. By coincidnce each time they've told me to do something the router has re-connected and all sites are visible, as soon as i'm off the phone it drops, reconnects and is not working again.

Each time I have to try and tell tech support it's not a wireless issue, i'm a software developer who writes websites and manages servers so i kind of know what i'm doing, it's just the fact the internet keeps dropping!

The only thing I can think of is that it is connecting too fast. I know previosly when I was with a different ISP they said it would take a day or two to work out the maximum stable connection speed. Sky haven't said anything like this, and it's connecting at around 4500kbps a second where as my old ISP was only connecting at around 3500kbps.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The tech support people seem to be reading a script and they get all confused when I try to tell them it's the internet that is the problem, not the wireless.
      Last edited by jofes2000; 05-12-07 at 11:07 PM.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Just connected and i'm pulling my hair out!

the fact you say it drops when you put the phone down and then comes back up suggests a filter issue...also, is it the same wired?

as it does work (albeit randomly) the internet is not the issue and its down to setup or the line...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

have you tried your test socket (behind face plate of master socket - see first link in my sig)

(if poss using a wired connection, there does not seem to be a problem with the new routers and wireless, but you never know yours could be the first)

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

To be honest it sounds like it could be a (wireless) connection problem to me.

Why are you so sure it's not? Have you tried wired?

In answer to your other question - no, "connecting too fast" isn't likely to be an issue. The router negotiates the best speed it can to the exchange with a healthy noise margin. If it is connecting at 4500kbps then it's happy with that speed. If you were getting this problem say in the evening but not at other times of the day then that would point towards a specific problem but if this is constant then it's just a straightforward connection problem.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      have you tried your test socket (behind face plate of master socket - see first link in my sig)

(if poss using a wired connection, there does not seem to be a problem with the new routers and wireless, but you never know yours could be the first)
      i saw your post earlier, i haven't tried the test socket but will do tomorrow as i need to pull the sofa out to get to it.

the connection just dropped again between reading the replies and clicking the reply button, i had to wait for it to connect yet again.

i don't think it's the wireless as the connection between my pc and the router is fine. i keep the router config open while im trying to use the net, as soon as a page doesn't load i go to the router config, hit refresh and it says i'm disconnected from the net.

one think i have noticed is that my noise margin is shown as 2147483644 db which seems somewhat higher that others posts i've read.

also i migrated from another ISP where i used exactly the same phone line etc so can't see it can be my hardware that's the issue unless it's the router.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The noise margin you quote isn't physically possible so your router is throwing a fit.

Power cycle it (power off for 5 minutes then back on again) and then post your router stats. That may give a clue to the problem.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

one thing i have noticed is that my noise margin is shown as 2147483644 db which seems somewhat higher that others posts i've read.
      i think that may be a little bug, with the old white netgear routers you could have the stats page up and keep an eye on the noise margin, not sure on the new ones but would guess you could, might be worth keeping an eye on it to see if there are any big changes
      (while you are waiting to do the test socket comparisson tomorrow)

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jofes2000 View Post
      one think i have noticed is that my noise margin is shown as 2147483644 db
      Eagle eyed forumers will spot that that value is 2^31 - 4. That suggests that it's trying to display a negative value, but the appropriate code hasn't been written to allow for negative values.

The noise margin value is essentially just a guess. The modem can't actually work out how much the noise levels have changed without doing a full channel analysis, and some router/modems are just not very good at doing it. If the noise margin were actually negative, the modem would have to resync, because it would be getting regular errors and not have anywhere to bitswap to.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right. To see if it's anything to do with the wireless i tried connected the router directly into the PC via ethernet cable, but this did mean plugging the router into a different socket (not the master). This didn't make any difference, the connection still kept dropping and my noise margin was 0, 1 or that silly figure that means in the negative. This time I could however see the router and see that the light went out each time.

I haven't had a chance to try the test socket yet as the master socket is behind the sofa and the misses is watching tv at at the mo!

I've just been on to Sky Tech Support again who couldn't help, then put me through to 'teir 3' tech support who needed the router plugged into the master socket. I did this and it connected at 256kbps, the noise margin is 18 db and it's been connected for 20 mins. The tech guy said he thinks it's a setting at the exchange and someone will ring me within 72 hours (heard that one before). I asked him why it was connected so slowly but stable and he didn't know.

Some very odd things going on. Will try the test socket later and see if that makes any difference.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Jus re-booted the router to see what would happen and its connected at 4256kbps but the noise margin is very very low again. between (0-2) or the negative

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast