Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Low Sync Speed Problems

This is a discussion on Low Sync Speed Problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This is going to be quite long winded, but bear with me... First got broadband with Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange, and that was ...

Goddard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bourne
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Low Sync Speed Problems

This is going to be quite long winded, but bear with me...

First got broadband with Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange, and that was about 3 years ago. At this time broadband had only just been introduced to my area, and the max speed I could get was a thrilling 512kb. That was all good and fine, but it was rather unstable, disconnecting quite regularly, and could stay off for a number of hours, even days. After much phoning up customer support and trying various methods I decided I'd had enough. And so about a month ago I switched to Sky.

First off the router was synching with the exchange at about 850kb, which was good compared to my previous 512kb. However there were still issues with stability as with Orange. Not long after that, the internet went dead, as did the phone line. BT, said there was a problem on the line, and they sorted it out. The phone came back on, but the router still wasn't synching. After doing all the standard tests (change of filters, cables, plugging into the test socket, etc) I rang Sky up, (who weren't very helpful) and they decided to send me a new router and they'd do some line testing.

I started using the new router, and changed some cables around with the new stuff, and it fixed the stability issue, and connected immediately. However it was synching at 128kb (Upstream and Downstream) It has been doing this for the past week, give or take a day. To solve this problem I've been doing all the checks on cables etc, and other experimentation with the setup. However none of this has helped. So I called Sky a couple of days ago, and they said they'd look into it. Got an automated call this morning, saying they'd fixed it. But if they fixed anything it certainly wasn't the problem I was having. So I've taken a different tac and posted on here

Here are the basic stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 128 kbps 128 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 15.6 db 13.0 db

I know my line attenuation is hideous, but I live in a fairly remote area about 3.1km from the exchange (yay)

Oh and I read some posts on here about ring wiring, and how only the 2nd and 5th wires should be connected, but I wasn't really sure about the whole matter, so I've uploaded a photo of the wiring:

Thanks for reading!

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Low Sync Speed Problems

As far as I can see you have blue connected to pin 2 and white/blue connected to pin 5.
      Carefully remove all the other wires and do the same at the extension end.

Good luck.

eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penrhyn View Post
      As far as I can see you have blue connected to pin 2 and white/blue connected to pin 5.
      Carefully remove all the other wires and do the same at the extension end.

Good luck.
      The one that causes the intereference is that orange one on terminal 3. Remove that at the master socket end and your noise margin may well increase. You would need to post your full router stats for further advice as it looks like Sky may now have capped you to 128kbps when your line may well support a better speed.

Goddard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bourne
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for replying.

I took those wires out of the main socket, and that works now. (whereas, only the test socked worked before) However I'm still synching at 128kb : (

Update: Just rang Sky up again to complain, and I got put through to the most helpful person I've ever spoken to on a customer support line. And he was english, so I could understand what he was saying!1 But it's all sorted now, thankfully.

Thanks for the help again, you've still managed to fix my problem with the extension sockets :P

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goddard View Post
      However I'm still synching at 128kb : (
      Yes you would be as your connection is capped. As eyemdee said, it was a change in noise margin you needed to look for as this would indicate an improved connection. For an explanation please see the first sticky in my signature.

In your edit you say your connection is now fixed - I assume that you've been uncapped? What is your router sync now?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

128 up/down is Sky's test speed (prob set like that as you didnt have any connection at all)

get on the blower and they'll remove the cap
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket