Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Connection, if any, at Peak Times.

This is a discussion on Slow Connection, if any, at Peak Times. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i can hardly get a connection at peak times, usually from 3.30pm to about 9pm, i think it's when the ...

bjproc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Forfar
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Slow Connection, if any, at Peak Times.

i can hardly get a connection at peak times, usually from 3.30pm to about 9pm, i think it's when the schools are out!! it seems to get better when you think there in bed.

is there anything that get done for this?.

on max.

it's the same on my PC & laptop.

i was onto tech help but the lady thought it would be ok just to wait untill after 9pm then start using it again, then i got cut off

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Slow Connection, if any, at Peak Times.

If you're a Sky LLU customer then you should see very little speed degradation at peak times.

What is more likely is that you're suffering from a falling noise margin. Line noise varies through the day and is often at its highest in the evenings. Below a certain noise margin (typically ~5db) line errors will rise considerably. This will cause corrupt data which has to be retransmitted.

See the first sticky in my signature for an explanation and a fix.

Thanks

thanks Saturday, a good post you have there.

thats mine for 0840 this morning, so if it drops out, reboot the router at a high noise level and it should adjust it's self to 6.9db and set it's self.

thanks, i'll try this tonight.

i was with talktalk before coming to sky, never really had any problems with them with connecting at peak times, but i take it i was on ADSL, not ADSL2

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Yes, if your problem is a falling noise margin then rebooting the router at a time of high noise will "lock" it at a higher noise margin until the router is powered off or rebooted. To be honest though, Mognuts is easier and quicker.

I doubt looking at your stats that you are on ADSL2+. More probably you're on G.DMT which could be called ADSL1 (though that term is very imprecise as there are several variants).

Experience has shown that the a number of users find their Sky connection less reliable than their previous ISP's. This is down to two key reasons: first, the connection is probably faster and fast ADSL needs a good quality phone line or it misbehaves; second, there is some evidence that the Sky router firmware is not able to handle certain noisy line conditions very well (new firmware which is due out soon should address this).

The stats you posted are abbreviated and don't show a full picture but I suspect you have a noisy line. With your attenuation I would expect your router to sync comfortably over 8000kbps even on G.DMT (or at 8096kbps which is often what G.DMT is capped at).

Take a look at the cabling and faceplate help forum for info on diagnosing and fixing line problems. If you resolve any line issues then you can expect a more reliable connection, less of a noise margin swing and quite probably be able to move to ADSL2+ and get a significantly higher speed (~11000kbps).

Thanks

thanks for the info

i've just bought the faceplate & tool for fitting it, i've also bought this wireless PCI card so i can put my router at the master socket.

MSI PC60G-F 108Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter - Ebuyer

thanks for your help