Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help!!

This is a discussion on Help!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I hope someone here can help I can't connect to the internet through Internet Explorer or Firefox but for ...

iamstevienicks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Help!!

Hi, I hope someone here can help

I can't connect to the internet through Internet Explorer or Firefox but for some strange reason when I load up AOL I can connect through there

More puzzling the fact that I am not even an AOL member anymore (Sky Broadband is my ISP)

Any clues?

I ran a diagnostic but it just says something about firewalls, which means little to me

Thanks!!

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Help!!

Have you anything like McAfee or Norton installed? Have you removed AOL related software from the PC yet?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I would say you have a firewall which is configured to allow passage of AOL, but block IE and FF. Seems like a typical AOL trick.

If you are using XP or earlier it is unlikely to be a Windows firewall, so have a look in your system tray, hover your mouse over each icon and see if one says anything about a firewall. There are too many possibles to list but McAffee is sometimes used.

You should also have a look in the Add/Remove Programs list, for anything connected with AOL Security Centre, if anything is there, uninstall it. In fact you don't really want anything connected with AOL on your PC as it will be hogging space and resources.

Note: I know it is probably possible to configure any firewall to allow access, but as the OP does not know much about firewalls, the easiest way for now, is to get rid of it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If it's McAfee you can reset it to defaults but I agree as it's the easiest route.

iamstevienicks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all this so far!

I am a bit nervous about removing AOL so far (I still use the e mail and it is my only source of net access at the moment)

It had been working no problems whatsoever for 2 months so this is brand new out of the blue problem

What should I be looking for in the system tray?

I do have Norton and there is a firewall on there but no Windows firewall

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you have Norton installed then you need to go through your Norton firewall settings as you may have disabled Internet Explorer from accessing the internet by accident. Do you know what version of Norton it is?
      Also open internet explorer and go into tools, internet options (in the top menu bar) and check your connections settings. Make sure that it is set to not dial a connection and that there is nothing in the Lan Settings view either.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It had been working no problems whatsoever for 2 months so this is brand new out of the blue problem
      You did not mention this previously, so I thought you had the problem since you first connected. It could be a recent update, either to Windows or the Security program which has caused it.

As I said above, hover your mouse over the icons and you will see one, or more, for Norton or AOL. Right click them and select Exit or Close, this will only close the program until you restart it or reboot.

There is another way, which is to do a partial clean boot of your system. To do this 1) open the Run box and type msconfig and click OK. 2) When the SCU opens, click the Startup tab and 3) select 'Selective Startup' then untick 'Load startup items'. Reboot your PC. This will disable everything that starts with your PC including AV and firewalls. To return it to normal just tick the Normal Startup box at 3) above.

If you can access using IE or FF after doing this, it means that something in your security is blocking you and we can go on from there. Be assured that nothing suggested above is irreversible, so there is no need to worry. I must emphasize that running like this means that you have no protection, so if you do get online, do not stay there any longer than it is necessary to verify the connection. Disconnect asap.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.