Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

activated, but ...

This is a discussion on activated, but ... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; A friend has signed up to Sky, and after a phone call to Sky last Friday was informed broadband would ...

rannoch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

activated, but ...

A friend has signed up to Sky, and after a phone call to Sky last Friday was informed broadband would be activated on Saturday.
      He was also told that his e-mail was (lets say) joe.bloggs@sky.com.
      No other information was given, and apart from the router and a CD nothing has been received.

I've been asked to help set it up tonight.

From previous experience, the CDs are usually filled with applications which are not required. So, I'd rather not use the CD unless it's a wizard for connecting only.

I have seen from this website that no userid/password is required to have broadband running - just set up the filters, plug in the phone line, connect to ethernet, power up the router, and you're linked.
      Is that correct.

As I said he has been given an e-mail address, but nothing else - no userid/password. Who do I contact to get the password for the e-mail address and the userid/password for the account.
      I can setup e-mails systems OK, but how do you have Sky identify new e-mail addresses.

Thanks,

rannoch

2. Advertisement
      terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: activated, but ...

Sky automatically use the same password as set up on the 'My Sky' account. So your friend should be able to use that.

If he has never has a login to the sky.com website, I suspect it will come in a letter.

Anderzander is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Poulton-le-Fylde
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I was keen to log onto the webmail and set it up for pop retrieval quickly, they'd given me my email address on the first phone and said the password would follow in the post. I'd also given them my hotmail email address as a contact address.

So I clicked for lost password on the webmail - and made a new one. It was a week after that that I got a letter with my (now redundant) original password.

It may be an option for your friend.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the username/password for the internet aren't known (they're locked in the routers)

however, the username for your email is the name part of the email address (bit before the @sky.com)

you can use this to reset the password via the MySky section of the Sky.com website (click on the 'forgotton password' link below the login in boxes) - this should then let you access your email and set up POP downloading for a mail client should you wish to use it...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

rannoch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the information.
      Activated on Saturday, letter with userid/password arrived today, but still issues.

Got the e-mails setup the old method, but now the first e-mail through is to change pop/smtp, etc.

Just found out the router access is admin/sky so I can get in to set the wireless netwirk key.

Thanks,

Rannoch
      Last edited by rannoch; 04-12-07 at 12:35 AM.

GordonM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Bipac8800AXL
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

similar semi-shambles here...

As an experienced user, I managed to get MSMail setup using th eold sky settings and there was an email telling me to change them - which I have done and it doesn't work anymore.

Tried to get into the sky/tools to make sure pop mail is setup and getting a message that because I am a new user tools will be available shortly.

I also only received an email with a broadband password. Nothing on username so I guessed it was the first part of my email address they verbally gave last week.

Their 'portal' is a disgrace of misdirections and poxy locations for login details etc.

On the plus side, getting 13meg down.