Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

in need of help please

This is a discussion on in need of help please within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by PaulSky You said you have a noisy line, that would probably be the reason for the drop, ...

HELGHAST is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: in need of help please

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      You said you have a noisy line, that would probably be the reason for the drop, line conditions change and it can affect the speed badly.
      Can you clarify your setup, where is the ADSL modem plugged in, are there any extensions in play, is there more than one telephone socket at the property, are they all filtered? Is there line noise when only a phone is plugged into the telephone socket?
      on the line we have the filter then to the left skybb the to the right a douuble adpator which has a built in wire for sky upstairs,the telephone and for sky+ downstairs. im running on a 10m cable as my netgear adaptor programme wont open up so i might pop out and get a new 1today. but the long line didnt really affec it.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you checked what is causing the noise yet? You will not get a decent connection with an issue on the line.
      i have yes and its the internet as soon as thats plugged in the noise is back so its got to be the line tho hasnt it? could you check if ive been capped tho? as i want to settle it with one phone call. not a dozen to sky and BT

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Have you changed filter yet? A faulty filter will allow cross contamination on the line. Checking that first will eliminate part of the trouble shooting. Is that the only socket in the house? Can you not plug into the main socket and just run an ethernet cable instead of running a telephone extension and plugging into that?

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

SNR (dB): 14.5 21.0
      Attn(dB): 29.0 31.5
      Pwr(dBm): 19.7 11.9
      Max(Kbps): 4384 1148
      Rate (Kbps): 3968 448
      something is wrong !

your max rate has increased but yor SNR has gone down, with your SNR figure i would imagine you have been capped, but your upstream suggests you are on connect (which may be due to an auto regrade ?)

do you have any previous stats from before ?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you changed filter yet? A faulty filter will allow cross contamination on the line. Checking that first will eliminate part of the trouble shooting. Is that the only socket in the house? Can you not plug into the main socket and just run an ethernet cable instead of running a telephone extension and plugging into that?

done the filter still same. its the only socket yes. i have to have a filter plugged in 1st as the main bt socket has a telephone socket only. but i have to keep the sky box plugged in at all times sky said. so they can keep the box's uptodate if i dont i could get charged. should i filter EVERY thing goin into the socket?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      something is wrong !

your max rate has increased but yor SNR has gone down, with your SNR figure i would imagine you have been capped, but your upstream suggests you are on connect (which may be due to an auto regrade ?)

do you have any previous stats from before ?
      i dont no mate sorry only the 1st stats post on here (normail faceplate) and the 2nd stats ( on the test socket)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Only one filter and the skybox plugs into it via the telephone side and the telephone plugs into the skybox adaptor, do you get the noise with only the telephone and router plugged into the filter? If so there is an issue and you need to call Sky to get someone to look at the line as there is a fault. I take it that with just the telephone plugged into the main telephone socket that the line is quiet?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Only one filter and the skybox plugs into it via the telephone side and the telephone plugs into the skybox adaptor, do you get the noise with only the telephone and router plugged into the filter? If so there is an issue and you need to call Sky to get someone to look at the line as there is a fault. I take it that with just the telephone plugged into the main telephone socket that the line is quiet?
      yes 1 filter which the internet runs into then the double telephone socket thing runs into which has sky,sky+ and the telephone plugged into it. and yes the line is quite with just phone but gets noiser with internet. i think rich has found he problem

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you have noise on the line and the line drops when someone uses the telephone then you either have a faulty installation or a faulty filter. Being on connect will not cause the line to drop if someone uses the phone.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HELGHAST View Post
      yes 1 filter which the internet runs into then the double telephone socket thing runs into which has sky,sky+ and the telephone plugged into it. and yes the line is quite with just phone but gets noiser with internet. i think rich has found he problem
      as paul says i think you need to double check your filters before you phone sky/BT. your auto regrade / cap will be because of the line noise and if you cannot find the fault i'm not sure what sky can do (they would not lift the cap as this would not help)

your first tests should be with filter into test socket then phone and modem plugged in (nothing else at all, not even the sky box), if problem is still there then try the other filters (sky send 3)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast