Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Slow download on Connect/Mid

This is a discussion on Slow download on Connect/Mid within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have had Sky Connect/Mid in my Sheffield City centre apartment for 5 months now, and my downloads seem to ...

adamuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow download on Connect/Mid

I have had Sky Connect/Mid in my Sheffield City centre apartment for 5 months now, and my downloads seem to be nowhere near as good as they should be. When downloading from websites I achieve speeds of around 400kb/sec, never any higher. When running speed tests I get a dl rate of around 3000.

I have changed the microfilter and ran an optimizer but to no avail. I can send files from one machine to another via wireless and this transfers much quicker, possibly eliminating the wireless as a problem.

When I signed up for broadband Sky I was told that I would be transferred from Connect to Mid within a matter of weeks as it was installed at the exchange. I called up a month ago and they told me 6 months at least. I am not happy with the woman who lied to me, as I told her that I was signing up with the condition that I would be able to upgrade to Max

Here are my router stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6208 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22.0 db 14.5 db
      Noise Margin 5.7 db 26.0 db

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to improve my speed? I am a Computing student so am quite savvy, and when I call Sky I seem to know more than them, and they just blame BT. BT did a line test and said all was okay, when I called a few days ago.

EDIT: I removed the front white plate of the wall socket and tried the router and then tried my phone in the hidden socket. It appears as if it isn't working, as the phone is dead and router doesn't connect to the internet. But when I put the front back on it works?
      Last edited by adamuk; 01-12-07 at 11:46 PM.

2. Advertisement
      eyemdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMMNSFI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Slow download on Connect/Mid

^^^ I am surprised they put you on Connect as if you are on this exchange then it has been LLU enabled since the end of June.

Your attenuation is very low (good) but the connection speed is not great at 6208 and the noise margin is very poor. This may due to a high demand on BT's service in your area but if you can post your detailed router stats they may give more clues. Have you tried plugging your router into the test socket behind your master socket faceplate to see if this improves things?

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

EDIT: I removed the front white plate of the wall socket and tried the router and then tried my phone in the hidden socket. It appears as if it isn't working, as the phone is dead and router doesn't connect to the internet. But when I put the front back on it works?
      does your phone not work when plugged into the test socket (behind the face plate)on its own ? that would be very strange !!
      could be a bit of bodge job when the last person had it fitted (without seeing it, i can only assume that it is wired wrong and may not be the correct master socket (i do not know how flats are wired as i would normally say follow the phone line in from outside and the first socket you come to would be the master, but sounds like yours is an extention)

back to the speed, connect is contended/throttled/capped (pick one or all) and will be one of your problems with speed, the second problem will be your SNR, the sky netgear router does not handle the signal very well under about 6.5db (give or take a bit)

if and when you do get changed over to mid you may need to sort out the wiring.

as to getting onto mid i would just keep ringing to find out when you can get put over (it's in sky's interest as well as yours, they pay BT for your connection and will not have that cost when you are switched)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If the face plate gets a signal, then your test socket must be getting a signal as this is where the face plate gets it's connection. It is possible that the filter plug has not made a proper connection, wiggle it about a bit, push it in/out of the socket a few times and it will probably work.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

sounds like the main part of the socket is faulty so id get it replaced/rewired...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adamuk View Post
      If the test socket is dead then your master socket has been wired incorrectly. The line that comes in from outside should be connected by BT to terminals A & B on the back of the test socket.

It sounds like your line cable has been wired by an amateur to terminals 2 & 5 of the faceplate which is where your extensions should be connected. It will work, but is not as it should be as your test socket is bypassed and you cannot easily disconnect extensions from the main line. You are also at risk of damaging the BT owned part of the cabling which should not be accessible.

It really needs sorting out properly to establish where your line noise is coming from.

Thanks

It is easy to check. With the faceplate removed from the socket, plug the phone into it, if it works, then it has been wrongly installed. In fact if it is like this it could potentially be dangerous.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

adamuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the help guys!

I called BT up and they are going to send an engineer out. They added the fact that it'll cost 130 if it isn't a fault with BT.

The lady I spoke on the phone with at BT was so rude, she was really sarcastic when saying that, 'it obviously works, other wise I wouldn't be able to call me up.' Once put through to a manager though, they seemed to understand.

I have tried the test socket again and it does not work. I have tried wiggling the phone and wireless router, without and with a filter and it's dead, no line at all.

Yep it could be dangerous incorrectly wired.

Is it a fault with BT or the company I rent from? BT I assume? I don't want to have to tell my landlord that he's going to have to pay at least 130!

Just to confirm, it's the test socket that doesn't work. When the faceplate is put on, that works but not well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adamuk View Post
      Is it a fault with BT or the company I rent from? BT I assume? I don't want to have to tell my landlord that he's going to have to pay at least 130!
      I doubt whether BT would have installed a master socket like that! Does the socket have a BT or Telecom logo on it, usually at the top left or right?

In any event it is not your responsibilty if it was like that when you moved in. BT may not bother to charge if it is simply a matter of rewiring or replacing the master socket correctly. It is literally a two minute job! Keep the engineer plied with tea!

Thanks

You did not say whether the phone works when plugged into the faceplate when it is not plugged into the Test socket, ie hang loose from the wall.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast