Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do i know i am connected?

This is a discussion on How do i know i am connected? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello guys, i have ordered SKYBB about ten days ago and 3 days after ordering i received my SKY router ...

mortakos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHEA
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How do i know i am connected?

Hello guys, i have ordered SKYBB about ten days ago and 3 days after ordering i received my SKY router which was the new Sagem one. Inside there was a letter that was saying that in order to install my router i need to put my cd in but AFTER the activation date. I called Sky to ask them when my activation date is going to be and they said they didn't have this information. Yesterday i received a letter telling me what my BB username and password is but no reference of activation date. The light on my router where it indicates my adsl is off. Not even blinking. So how will i know when my line is activated so i can install the cd? Thanks

2. Advertisement
      James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: How do i know i am connected?

The CD simply gives animated instructions on how to connect the router and then installs security software (McAfee anti-virus and firewall) on your PC. It doesn't actually install anything essential that you need to get connected to the Internet, so unless you really want to install that software, the best advice is not to use the CD at all. Most people will already have anti-virus software installed on their PCs and so the CD is completely unnecessary.

You'll know when you're connected because the Internet light (on my router it's a little 'i' symbol - not sure if it's the same on the new routers) will be green, and you'll have access to the Internet!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the new routers internet light is an @ - and it'll go green when it has an IP address, amber otherwise...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

toppam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marlow
      Broadband ISP: BT Total Broadband Option 3
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have the new Netgear Router, but I never received an activation letter from Sky. I just plugged it into the filter and waited for the @ light to go green. For about 24 hours before it activated, the @ light was flashing intermittently (attempting connection?), then it just went solid green and I had broadband. That was a couple of weeks ago.

I did have a look at the CD, but as James67 suggests, I didn't need it. Actually, I found it very patronising, but I guess SKY have to aim it at the lowest level.

Initial speed was 480kbps but that increased yesterday to 1450. Still way below the 8MBPS that I am having to pay 17 per month for!

toppam

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mortakos
      I called Sky to ask them when my activation date is going to be and they said they didn't have this information.
      Did you go through to the correct department? Order status should know your activation date.

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toppam View Post
      I have the new Netgear Router, but I never
      Initial speed was 480kbps but that increased yesterday to 1450. Still way below the 8MBPS that I am having to pay 17 per month for!stage6.com

toppam
      Hi sadly Sky, like all bb companies offer an up to offer, ie up to 8mb as there are many contributing facts that determine your speed. Post your stats and someone will help.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      the new routers internet light is an @ - and it'll go green when it has an IP address, amber otherwise...
      Exactly. That is what i was expecting my modem to do, but my @ light is not amber. Is not even turning on.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is the power light coming on? When you connect to your PC with an ethernet cable does the port light come on? If the answer to these is No, you should phone Sky and tell them you believe your router is faulty. They will probably tell you that you have to wait until the line is activated before the router will work, but the power, port and seeking ADSL lights should come on whether you are connected or not.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That's is exactly what i expected. All the other lights do come on, i.e. Power, Ethernet and Wireless. But the @ "internet" light is not coming on at all, not even amber. Is this normal? Is this maybe a feature of the new routers from sky?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Not according to he-who-should-know

I would have thought syncing with the exchange would be enough to turn the light green, but I don't really know.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast