Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

After a problem free year - horribly wrong

This is a discussion on After a problem free year - horribly wrong within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by tomtom They have submitted a report to the top tier and they're hoping they'll do a line ...

tomtom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: After a problem free year - horribly wrong

Quote Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
      They have submitted a report to the top tier and they're hoping they'll do a line test with bt (so they say anyway).
      I phoned yesterday and discovered the problem hadn't even been forwarded to any other dept. Some bint then decided "we" would see how the connection would do with a cap of 8 mbps. It didn't matter that the problem persisted with an 8 mbps cap several calls ago, she said she couldn't push the problem upstairs without monitoring the connection for 24 hrs with this cap. She promised to call back today. That call back came in the shape of a recorded message which stated the problem was now resolved (can't say I noticed losing the connection in the previous 24 hrs but that hardly implies solved even if the bint knew I hadn't had any problems).

I'm lodging a complaint with the ISPA because if I have to listen to one more d1ckhead talking about filters or cap speeds I'll get done for murder.

2. Advertisement
      The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Well my problem was sorted yesterday. After many calls and problem solving I asked for Sky to send a BT Openreach engineer which they did the next day.

The engineer said he could not find a fault with the line but placed my line on a new run to the exchange, tested and all checked out 100%. My noise went away from there on and so I called Sky Tier 3 back.

I asked for my speeds to be increased back to max and they did that and ever since my speeds and line have been great. Im currently connected at 15359 kbps down and 764 kbps up.

The tech gut said he was not happy sticking me on 16Mb so dropped my speeds back 500Kbps and this is what Im on now.

Get Sky to send a BT engineer out and check your line and keep at it.

Regards.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers Realist. Glad you're sorted. My complaint has put the wind up them and I've had 2 calls from them already today. The first was from customer relations promising to get the tech people on my case and also to fix me up with compensation for calls. A few minutes ago I had tier 3 on saying they'll be monitoring the line over the next few days. Naturally I've had no dropped connections (that I've noticed) for 36 hours and of course they think this means the 8 mbps cap that's currently in place is doing the business despite a 4 mb cap and a previous 8 mb cap failing to fix the problem (I explained that, IMO, they've got lucky as I've had several spells of a week or more without problems). Anyway, I'll bear with them and hope that the thing does go down over the next few days.

Thanks

Get them to do a TPS and a Openreach home visit now they have your attention.

But best wishes and have a good Xmas M8.

Regards.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the openreach visit will be done only if there's no sync above 128kbps (or in VERY extreme circumstances) as its costs around 200 for each visit. a TPS is the more likely way forward
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Call Sky and get them to do a TPS and if thats no good then get Openreach to call.

Regards.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

They are calling me back tomorrow so I'll give them till then to see what they say. Thankfully, I lost my connection on Friday night and I had problems connecting this morning. Current stats are

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2208 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.0 db 18.0 db
      Noise Margin 9.2 db 9.0 db

which should surely convince them their caps aren't working.

Nozz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This thread really is helping me as im having the exact same problem....
      (sky MAX package)
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8859 kbps 409 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22.5 db 11.0 db
      Noise Margin 13.7 db 18.0 db

The downstream was around 13000 kbps yesterday :S

MERRY XMAS ALL
      Last edited by Nozz; 25-12-07 at 01:56 PM. Reason: forgot to say merry xmas!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^^^^
      It looks like you have been capped, both up and down. Have you made any complaints about your connection. If you have not, phone them and complain about slow speed. Tier 1 will be able to do nothing, but they should pass you up to the higher support, who can help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The connection, speed, line attenuation and noise margin were all up and down over the course of the week and apparently this was monitored by sky.
      They finally decided it was time to call BT and the guy suggested maybe my line was crossed with another in a green box or something. Anyway, they contacted BT, BT engineer called at my home, used his own modem to check the speed and errors, declared everything was fine and fecked off. Sky then phone as if problem is solved. When I explained to them (just as I explained to the BT engineer) that it was odds on the BT engineer would arrive at a point when it was all OK and that, as nothing had changed, the problem was virtually certain to resurface, they started going over old ground again. They are back to 'monitoring' again and will phone back tomorrow.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast