Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unable to connect to wireless router - but everything works fine?!

This is a discussion on Unable to connect to wireless router - but everything works fine?! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I'm new to Sky Broadband and wireless routers etc so please bear with me. Sky CD was very ...

profcott is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unable to connect to wireless router - but everything works fine?!

Hi all,

I'm new to Sky Broadband and wireless routers etc so please bear with me.

Sky CD was very good, I thought.

Sky have confirmed that Broadband was activated yesterday on my phone line. Fine.
      Looking at the router the '@' light is green - which looks like it means - Broadband is active. Fine.
      I bought a Netgear wireless USB stick as my PC is in my studio (no BT line).
      I have connected up the router to the BT line in the hall (next to the studio) - have loaded the Netgear software - can see the Channel and ISP address all in glorious yellow, so my PC in the studio is receiving the signal from the router in the hall. Fine.

I go to connect via Explorer (and oh yes Explorer V7 loaded. Fine.) however my PC attempts to dial a modem which I'm now no longer using due to this new wireless set up. It then comes up with an error message, which is understandable as it is trying to dial something which no longer exists.

The question appears then to relate to the set up of my PC - how do I make it connect immediately to the router , and stop this 'trying to phone a modem' via Supanet' lark?

Any comments/help gratefully received.

TTFN,

Rob
      PS One thing I would add - Sky have been brilliant re: setting up a dish for Sky TV etc - ordered on a Thursday - installed and active the following Tuesday - now THAT's service. A real gem compared to BT (appalling - took 25 days just to get the line active after moving into my house - and many many hours of phonecalls - routed to India) and Virgin (not too bad, but...)

2. Advertisement
      miahm2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CLWAP
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Unable to connect to wireless router - but everything works fine?!

you should delete the dial up connection from Internet Options. Internet option can be accessed via Control Panel.
      "If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for"

miahm2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CLWAP
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Unable to connect to wireless router - but everything works fine?!

you should delete the dial up connection from Internet Options. Internet option can be accessed via Control Panel. Internet options can also be found in Internet Explorer by clicking onto Tools and then Internet Options which right on the bottom of the drop down menu
      "If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for"